240V shaver/toothbrush socket in bathroom cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a socket in my bathroom to charge an electric toothbrush, however I am aware that bathroom electrics are heavily regulated.
There is a built in cupboard in the bathroom where an unused cable protected by a 16A MCB terminates - would it be possible to use this to supply a 240V shaver socket? Would this be safe?
Alternatively, would it be possible/safe to power a 240V shaver socket from the RCBO protected lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Likely both can be done. As to if when in a cupboard it requires LABC notifying is some thing for you to work out. Personally I would say it's still in a bathroom so needs notifying.

One has to be careful when selecting an isolation transformer for rechargeable stuff. Some is continuous rated and some intermittent you need the continuous rated type.

Again personally I will not install a socket for charging a tooth brush in my bathroom. I consider the whole idea of rechargeable is the socket does not need to be in the bathroom. Some of the dental care equipment uses too much current to work from the permitted max size of transformer used in a shaver socket so you need to check.

The shaver socket is designed so it switches off as soon as the shaver is unplugged. Leaving items plugged in clearly means this safety feature is disabled. Which is why I will not fit one at home.

There is no regulation saying you can't recharge a tooth brush it's just me who says no.

Although we have RCD protection to the shaver socket because of the way it works the RCD will not trip with any fault with items plugged into the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back