25a Appliance on Unfused Spur off 2.5mm ring final with 32a RCBO

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I know ideally it should have a dedicated radial 25a rcbo/mcb in the board but wondering how bad it would be to run a spur off the existing ring. Instructions say "over current 25a" and you can see the plate (and what the device is) below....

Attachments

• IMG_20230616_232815.jpg
    IMG_20230616_232815.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 135
13 amp max spur from a ring main, its supposed to be evenly loaded sticking 25 amps on one point may overload a leg.

See appendix 15 of bs7671, recommended items over 2kw have there own circuit

Thats not a 25 amp appliance its 9 amps, even so it need it's own supply if you want to do a proper job

Thanks a lot for the reply. I haven't got the full bs7671 and I'm not an electrician (hence asking on DIY site) but I do have the on site guide 2018 which in section H2.4 doesn't seem to say unfused spurs are limited to 13a ? Although section H2.5 does talk about it.

The plate seems to suggest the average usage is 9A but could peak a lot higher (presumably why the instructions talk about 25A over current)

I dunno bit of a nightmare if I have to run cable round the building just for this.

Ahhh hang on. Yes as you say its 9A - the other figures are output. So this could be put on a 13A fused spur I believe? Although strange why the insutrctions talk about 25A over current.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I haven't got the full bs7671 and I'm not an electrician (hence asking on DIY site) but I do have the on site guide 2018 which in section H2.4 doesn't seem to say unfused spurs are limited to 13a ? Although section H2.5 does talk about it.

The plate seems to suggest the average usage is 9A but could peak a lot higher (presumably why the instructions talk about 25A over current)

I dunno bit of a nightmare if I have to run cable round the building just for this.

Ahhh hang on. Yes as you say its 9A - the other figures are output. So this could be put on a 13A spur I believe? Although strange why the insutrctions talk about 25A over current.
Yes you could use a 13 amp spur on this occasion

Thats not a 25 amp appliance its 9 amps, even so it need it's own supply if you want to do a proper job
I don't even know where you get 9A from - does it not say 4.3A at 230V or 4.1/4.2A at 240V? What am I missing?

Kind Regards, John

I don't even know where you get 9A from - does it not say 4.3A at 230V or 4.1/4.2A at 240V? What am I missing?

Kind Regards, John
It says 9 amps at the top of the unit/rated current

It says 9 amps at the top of the unit/rated current
So it does, and also says that the 'rated power' is 1.65 kW - but what do they mean, given that the bits below give the total input as 0.91 or 0.93 kW and 'total current' as 4.3A at 230V ?

Whatever, I think we can probably agree that, at least current-wise, there's no real problem in it being on a spur from a 32A ring?

Kind Regards, John

So it does, and also says that the 'rated power' is 1.65 kW - but what do they mean, given that the bits below give the total input as 0.91 or 0.93 kW and 'total current' as 4.3A at 230V ?

Whatever, I think we can probably agree that, at least current-wise, there's no real problem in it being on a spur from a 32A ring?

Kind Regards, John
Yep, I'll go with that mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back