25mm cable ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying some materials for an electrician and on his list is 100meters of 25mm 6181y blue/grey and 100meters of 25mm 6181y brown/grey

The price of both reels is about 360 each!!!!. What the hell is this even for? I can account for the 1mm2 and 2.5mm for ring circuits and lighting but not 25mm cable.

It's a 2 bedroom maisonette, 1 kitchen, 1 lounge. Is he taking the **** and thinks I'm going to buy him this cable and not use it ?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not 1.00m?

You could ask him.
Difficult to tell from here.

Does he live 90m. away? :)

Sponsored Links
That cable is for meter tails,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-meter-tails-6181y-25mm-x-5m-cable-blue-grey/83735

And why are you buying it when any real electrician will have trade accounts that mean he or she can buy considerably cheaper than those who do not have trade accounts.

Because

a) he doesn't want to buy materials in case clients say they don't want the job and have to return
b) probably some tax situation - hell if I know?
c) I can choose some fittings myself
d) he does get trade discounts, this outlet is showing the price minus 40% discount lol. Typical company hiking the price and then putting on discount to try and fool the customer.

Do I need 200meters of it that is the question?

Looking through again, 100meters of 6mm2 6242y grey, what the hells is for ??? £193

It's a 2 bedroom maisonette, 1 kitchen, 1 lounge. Is he taking the p**s and thinks I'm going to buy him this cable and not use it ?
Meter tails link the main fuse ( that is where the supply arrives at the house ) to the meter and the meter to the consumer unit(s)

In the average house 5 metres of each would be plenty.

Either the "electrician" has written 100 metres when it should have been 10 metres or he is stocking up for the next dozen or more customers at your expense

Looking through again, 100meters of 6mm2 6242y grey, what the hells is for ??? £193
This cable would normally be used on cooker circuits, so would depend on the distance between consumer unit and hob, oven, cooker etc and the route the cable needs to take and if you are having more than one cooking appliance.
But not all cooking appliance require 6.0mm cable, if cooking appliance are gas they only need enough current to ignite burners, fans, lights and deal with the electronic controls.

Do I need 200meters of it that is the question?
How far from the meter is the new consumer unit going to be? Add a little for cable route (bends), and that will be the length you will need of tails.
Normally something between 1m to 5m.

I don't think its physically possibly to get the consumer unit closer to the meter, less than 1meter it is! On the same wall lower down

This cable would normally be used on cooker circuits, so would depend on the distance between consumer unit and hob, oven, cooker etc and the route the cable needs to take and if you are having more than one cooking appliance.
But not all cooking appliance require 6.0mm cable, if cooking appliance are gas they only need enough current to ignite burners, fans, lights and deal with the electronic controls.

I assumed as much.

I'm having cable run for 1 electric oven/separate hob (or perhaps integrated oven/hob) and 1 boiler.

Oven is about 9meters from consumer unit.

Boiler is about 10 meters.

Including horizontal and vertical runs.

I'm having the **** taken out of me and now worried that these are cowboys. Don't know how to approach the subject with them now.

Despite being 6 foot and bulky I'm being treated like a 5'6 blond bimbo with big tits

Also, 150meters of 1mm2 and 150meters of 2.5mm2 he's asked for. Perhaps I should just get one 100metre reel of each.

All of this will knock of (I'm expecting) half the price off. It's currently £720 including vat ! Abysmal

I'm having the p**s taken out of me and now worried that these are cowboys. Don't know how to approach the subject with them now. Despite being 6 foot and bulky I'm being treated like a 5'6 blond bimbo with big ****
You could try just asking them how much of each of the cables they actually need (rather than how much is on a whole drum!) - and take the opportunity to point out to them that, no matter how much you buy, you will expect to keep everything that is left over!

If that doesn't work, you could try reminding them that you are "6 foot and bulky" (unless they are even taller and more bulky!) :)

Kind Regards, John

d) he does get trade discounts, this outlet is showing the price minus 40% discount lol. Typical company hiking the price and then putting on discount to try and fool the customer.

Their price with 40% discount is well over 50% more expensive than I can go buy it for right now.

Other than ripping you off? Connecting an oven. That's twice what I'd pay. And I don't get discounts.

If ever there was an example of why not to buy stuff yourself, this has to be it !

100m of meter tails indeed ! actually 200m

I think everyone can get them in sensible lengths !

Its only those who grow weed would want a roll !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back