25mm cable ???

Sponsored Links
Tested by who?
You will very likely need to fill in a three signature form, for design, construction and inspection/testing.

By a proper spark mate don't worry.
Let's look at the second of the three signatures first.

my neighbor who is an ex-sparky he offered to do the runs for free for something to do!
How "ex"? Does he have recent enough qualifications to justifiably sign this:

FOR CONSTRUCTION
I being the person responsible for the construction of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the construction hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

What types of installation work is he experienced in?

Plant rooms back in the day

So that leaves design, and inspection and testing.

Who is going to do the design? Not you, because you aren't competent.

Neighbor is

Not your neighbour, he's just doing the construction.

So who?

Neighbour lol

And then inspection & testing. Have you found an electrician prepared to put his name to an EIC signed by two other people, one retired, who he doesn't know?

Yeah lol His names Joe

And what about Building Regulations compliance? You're not going the route of an electrician who can self-certify, there are no 3rd-party certifiers yet, so you'll need to put in an application before you start (which will eat up a chunk of the savings you think you'll make) and that will mean being able to explain to the council how you will comply with the Building Regulations.

Nah **** it I'll just leave it. Got smoke detectors and fire detectors and stuff it'll be fine once tested. Don't I get compliance once certified?

I'm not convinced you've thought this through properly.

Me neither to be honest. Don't worry a trained person will be making live connections. We're just trailing cable and sh1t

19 fire rated down lights - white
4 low voltage downlights - white
19 50w halogens
4 50w mr16 lamp
Mad. And probably won't be acceptable to LABC.

I think I meant 50w bulbs for the down lights.

So 19 fire rated and 4 mr16 low voltage, and bulbs to go with them

100a consumer unit 10 mcbs
Nope.

And what about Building Regulations compliance? You're not going the route of an electrician who can self-certify, there are no 3rd-party certifiers yet, so you'll need to put in an application before you start (which will eat up a chunk of the savings you think you'll make) and that will mean being able to explain to the council how you will comply with the Building Regulations.

Also this?? What do you mean? I've had electricians self-certify before? If you mean that to get self certified you need the electrician to do the whole job then who I get to check it all over and test will certify it .. why would I pay some rusty old pedophile council worker to come out ?

Sponsored Links
A pile of sh*te showing that he doesn't have a clue and cares even less.

If you mean that to get self certified you need the electrician to do the whole job
Yes.

then who I get to check it all over and test will certify it
He can't.

And therefore he won't, unless you're going to pay a criminal to lie for you.

why would I pay some rusty old pedophile council worker to come out ?
And that one sentence tells us everything we need to know about your attitude and your mental abilities.

Go away.

This is a rewire.

"4 junction box"

Has any one else spotted the requirement for junction boxes? If this is a new install I would not expect to need any junction boxes.

Am I missing something here?

"100a consumer unit 10 mcbs"

No prevision for RCD protection. I would for a new rewire go with all RCBOs. I could get out my copy of BS 7671:2008(2011) and quote the regulations but there has to be provision for RCD protection. Unless everything is been installed in mechanical protection or >50mm buried. I guess neither of those is happening. RCD protection is then required.

Adam

there has to be provision for RCD protection. Unless everything is been installed in mechanical protection or >50mm buried. I guess neither of those is happening. RCD protection is then required.

There has to be RCD protection on the sockets anyway.

there has to be provision for RCD protection. Unless everything is been installed in mechanical protection or >50mm buried. I guess neither of those is happening. RCD protection is then required.

Sorry should have looked at my copy of BS 7671:2008(2011). Regulation 411.3.3. Additional protection by means of a 30mA RCD is to be provided for all socket outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A for use by ordinary persons.

Been out of the game for a while mostly commercial work. Bit rusty these days when it comes to domestic.

Sorry should have looked at my copy of BS 7671:2008(2011). Regulation 411.3.3. Additional protection by means of a 30mA RCD is to be provided for all socket outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A for use by ordinary persons.
Indeed, and come BS 7671:2008:2015, probably less than a year away, even the "for use by ordinary persons" bit ought to be gone. Even pre-2008, there was a requirement for RCD protection of sockets 'likely to be used for outdoor equipment'.

Kind Regards, John

Plus RCD protection for all circuits supplying a room containing a bath or shower.

Plus RCD protection for all circuits supplying a room containing a bath or shower.
Yep. That too.

By the time one has considered sockets, buried cables and bathrooms, there really ain't very much left in the average house which doesn't now require RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

This is a rewire.

"4 junction box"

Has any one else spotted the requirement for junction boxes? If this is a new install I would not expect to need any junction boxes.

Am I missing something here?
The fact that the "design" has been done by a fool?

"100a consumer unit 10 mcbs"

No prevision for RCD protection.
[100a consumer unit 10 mcbs
Nope.

But the fool doesn't know. Or care.

TWENTY THREE 50W lamps ???

5 spots to lounge, 6 to kitchen, 4 to one bedroom, 4 to other bedroom, 4 to bathroom
and i think the 50w are bulbs

Lamps is the correct term used for bulbs.
I would be considering using LED lamps, rather than halogen. Also on the design side of the lighting, building regulation require a number of energy efficient fittings to be installed during a rewire, that number in general is 25% of the total lighting and it is the fitting that would be deemed energy efficient rather then the lamp (AKA bulb) installed into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back