Trying to add light to a old switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to add under unit lights in a kitchen to the old switch which controls the ceiling light. I have bout a 2 way switch so i can control both sets of lights independently.
Currently the old switch had a brown, blue a earth cable and the new wire is a twin and earth. the switch has 2 x common 2 x L1 2 x L2. i have managed to wire it to get the original lights on but cant get the new ones working.
I have the old live going into common and the old neutral going into the same L1. the new live going into the other common and the new neutral going into the other L1 then i have a cable connecting the two commons.
Could anyone tell me where I'm going wrong.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If your adding new lights then you will need a switched line and a neutral to power the lights.

Its seems you existing switch does not include a neutral and consists of only a line and switch line.

I'm quite happy to tell you where you're going wrong, David:

You just haven't a clue and should get an electrician to sort it out.....

"New neutral", indeed!

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
[sigh]//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting[/sigh]
I have the old live going into common and the old neutral going into the same L1.
What do you think a switch actually does?

If you had to make a working model of a battery connected via an on-off switch to a torch bulb with just lengths of wire, what would it look like?

If you took a plug, with a flex connected into it, and at the non-plug end twisted L & N together and plugged it in, what do you think would happen?

Having come up with an answer to that, please explain why the same wouldn't happen if you had a live going into common and a neutral going into the L1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back