2A Lighting cricuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We've just bought a new house, and there are no overhead lights in the sitting room. Instead, there's a (2A?) socket in each corner - it's a double sitting room, so 8 in total, 4 on each gang of the light switch.

How do I go about purchasing lamps for these? What should I look for? I take it I need to replace the plugs on whatever suitable lamps I buy, as opposed to replacing the sockets with 13A sockets?

Also, can I replace the switch with a 2 gang dimmer?

Any help much appreciated! Also, might be looking for an electrician to sort out some LE downlighters (massive ones in situ) - would need some plastering work etc. In Islington.

AB

Sponsored Links
mmm bit of a strange setup, before you even consider getting new lights or replacing fittings you need to establish that these outlets are earthed and what are the consumer unit arrangements, ie is it an old rewireable board, are the earthing arrangements correct for the property?. unfortunately by just adding bits onto a system that isn't in a good state you can cause more problems.

Thanks for the reply :)

The sockets are earthed...

The property is pretty old but the main board + fuses etc. look pretty new. Everything must have been working fine for the previous owners, perhaps I should ask them what they used for lighting?

Just been doing some reading around on the forum, including one debate on whether or not round pin sockets should be replaced. I'm thinking that they probably shouldn't (to stop heaters etc being plugged in and possibly someone attempting to dim them with the light switch!).

So, I simply replace the plugs on my lamps with 2A round-pin plugs, and be careful not to plug in too many halogen uplighters or anything that's high current?

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Yes as you said, just remove the 13A plugs and replace with 2A plugs. A dimmer should not be a problem as long as you dont put any low voltage table lamps on the dimmer as they may not be dimmable .

Nick

Thanks sparky!

Now I'll try to find somewhere local to source the plugs so I don't have to shell out an extortionate amount for P+P!

So many people assume small 2amp round pin plugs must be VERY old - FAR FROM IT!

It is actually something done very often in new builds these days - usually supplimentary to ceiling/wall lights, but often in place of them in conservatories and rooms with low ceilings etc......or just rooms like snugs where you only want ambient lighting.

Thanks again for all the responses.

One last niggling concern: 2A plugs don't have fuses, so all the fusing is done in the main box - I'm assuming this is safe seeing as it seems to be fairly standard (if slightly rare)?

Cheers

very true lectricaian

but always wise to accertain if it is an older property before telling someone to crack on and put new lights all over the place, as more often than not in an older property the wiring is shot and the rewireable board is as good as a chocolate firegrate

True, but in older properties, these sockets WOULD NOT BE SWITCHED.

pdenni said:
mmm bit of a strange setup.

As Lec says, it's not so strange. I have seen it many times, and indeed, have this set-up in my lounge.

4 x 2A sockets from one 250W dimmer.

You have to be careful not to overload either the dimmer, circuit or both.

derrenwall1.jpg

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back