2D lamp flicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 4pin 28w 2d lamp in our bathroom. The lamp failed the other day so I shot out and bought a new one, a Pro-lite. When I installed it, the starting flicker was much worse than the original.

So I shot out again and bought a new starter. This has improved things a bit but not enough.

So, should I try the very best quality 2d lamp? If yes, what's the make? Or will I be wasting my money again?

The light given out is great for the size of bathroom. If I have to change the light to get rid of the problem - it's that bad - any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well, it lasts a much shorter time than I thought, now I've actually measured it. 10 seconds! It does flicker faster than before and I can hear it making a clicking sound when it's doing it.

I have four 2d lamps outside around the drive and they charge up much quicker and quieter. Mind you, if it makes a difference, these lamps are 2 pin 16watts.

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting,

Right, I'll try those tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your reply.

Check you brought and were given the right starter.
There not all the same.

Rf may be right (usually is)
But not sure electronic starters are suitable in an enclosed fitting due to heat.
Some makers of enclosed fittings label them, Not to fit them.

It took me three visits to electrical distributors this morning before I found one with what I needed. The first one, I suspect, didn't know that there were starters designed for an enclosed fitting and of course only had el cheapo lamps, like the next one.

The light is now absolutely great. Just a moment of dull illumination and then full power without any flickering or noises. It's never been better.

I'm very grateful to you guys. You've taught me to buy the right stuff in the first place. Many thanks

bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back