2gang dimmer wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to be a spark and it seems all has changed. Ihave a 2 gang dimmer. A total of 5 reds, the neutrals are blocked to gether so that is fine, and the earth fine.
Three of the reds are coming down one side,. and it looks like the other two reds are moving away. One the side with the 3 reds only one is live.

I have L1, L2 and Com on both sides of the dimmer.

Help!!

Sponsored Links
why not use your meter to find out what does what?

you should know that although there is a "standard" way of wiring lights, it is not always done so, and to ask on a forum which wire does what with no further imformation is pointless, hence get your meter out

breezer said:
why not use your meter to find out what does what?

you should know that although there is a "standard" way of wiring lights, it is not always done so, and to ask on a forum which wire does what with no further imformation is pointless, hence get your meter out
well i did a juice test and only one red is live, so where would that normally go, sorry i have no other info to give you.

gerlep said:
well i did a juice test and only one red is live, so where would that normally go, sorry i have no other info to give you.

Quite clearly you have a live and neutral supply to the switch position and then four switched-live and neutral supplies out from there to (one would imagine) four lighting positions. (Clue: you will need to bridge between the Common terminals of the two switches.)

If you can't work out what goes where from that (or from reading the FAQ post at the top of the forum) then you should call in somebody who is not an 'ex-spark'. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back