2way & intermediate, have I made a mistake ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive 1st fixed a 2 way & intermediate lighting circuit with two lights, but ive fed one light from the 1st switch and another light from the 3rd switch. Is it possible to make both lights work the same from each switch ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thats what I thought but I fitted the lights before I came home and one of the lights worked fine from all 3 switches but the other light, you could turn it on & off from the two 2 way switches but wouldnt turn off from the intermediate switch.

Sponsored Links
If you linked common to common, with two strappers going via the intermediate.
using one Live and one switchline.
Then
The switch line at one end will only be the switch line at the other end, up until the intermediate is operated, due to the way the switch operates.

Assuming you used 3 core and joined one core through, at the intermediate position.

If you feed the common at switch one and still only use two strappers, take the light switchline from common on switch three, use your third core to take a switchline back from switch three common, back to switch one and join to the light switchline .

I'm assuming you intend to connect the live feed to lights at each of the 2 way switches? If so it won't work

Ive 1st fixed a 2 way & intermediate lighting circuit with two lights, but ive fed one light from the 1st switch and another light from the 3rd switch. Is it possible to make both lights work the same from each switch ?

Cheers.

yes assuming you dont have enough cores to carry the switch wire through from one 2way to the other 2way then sort out the switching to make one light work then run a new cable between the roses and connect them to gether

Thanks for the replies. My internet went down exactly at that moment I was typing & finally got sorted yesterday.

Anyway, I realise I only have a permanent live at one end when I need it at both!! or do I ?

Yes I have 3c between each switch

If you feed the common at switch one and still only use two strappers, take the light switchline from common on switch three, use your third core to take a switchline back from switch three common, back to switch one and join to the light switchline .

Ive just drawn this & it makes total sense. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back