2way light problem

0x21.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would say the back boxes for switches are tight enough as they are without having a block connector inside, OK no real option with intermediate switch, but two way switches are normally wired as EFLImpudence showed in first diagram.

Technically I suppose one should run the neutral with the live so it is a balanced transmission line, however at 50 Hz a small resistor or capacitor in the bulb can sink any out of balance current and stop the lamp coming on dim or flashing.

Oddly at school I was shown JohnW2 diagram, however also at school shown how a fluorescent tube worked with a starter, but missed out the ballast completely, that it seems is the advanced wiring diagram as used with "A" level students. So don't reckon much as far as electrics taught at school.

Sponsored Links
My secondary school was founded in the mid 16th century, and some of the masters, whilst they probably had not been there since the beginning, looked as if they could well have been there since before electricity was discovered.

Oddly at school I was shown JohnW2 diagram, however also at school shown how a fluorescent tube worked with a starter, but missed out the ballast completely, that it seems is the advanced wiring diagram as used with "A" level students. So don't reckon much as far as electrics taught at school.
Well, I can't forgive the overlooked ballast (which sounds like a recipe for a 'big bang'!), but they were probably correctly teaching 'common/standard practice' as far as 2-way switching was concerned. The house I lived in whilst at school had such an arrangement, as did the first house I bought (in 1978) and also my present house (which had been rewired in the early 80s). In fact, it was decades after I was at school that I even became aware of what is now usually called the 'conversion' arrangement of 2-way switching.

Kind Regards, John

also at school shown how a fluorescent tube worked with a starter, but missed out the ballast completely, that it seems is the advanced wiring diagram as used with "A" level students.
As education progresses from 4 year olds starting school to university level, the only difference is that the lies, mistruths and omissions are less frequent.

My secondary school was founded in the mid 16th century, and some of the masters, whilst they probably had not been there since the beginning, looked as if they could well have been there since before electricity was discovered.
I went to a very similar school in Stratford upon Avon

I went to a very similar school in Stratford upon Avon
The headmaster of my (boys') Grammar School was Victorian not only by birth by very much by attitude as well. Amongst other things he referred to mixed-sex schools as "the work of the devil" and, when some brave teacher instituted the concept of 'Saturday Night Dances' at the school, did all he could (eventually unsuccessfully!) to resist the idea that females should be allowed to attend these events. Items of, for example, footwear he disapproved of would often be described as "...as worn by third-class Swedish tourists"!

Kind Regards, John

Technically I suppose one should run the neutral with the live so it is a balanced transmission line, however at 50 Hz a small resistor or capacitor in the bulb can sink any out of balance current and stop the lamp coming on dim or flashing.
This isn't the most common problem with the 'old' method of singles in tube.

This was the method of intermediate switching taught at my school, using 2 double pole 2 way switches and a single gang 2 way.
upload_2018-9-16_0-53-49.png

I showed my father what I'd copied of the blackboard, he scribbled through and amended it with instruction to show it to the teacher.
upload_2018-9-16_1-8-17.png

I have come across it once using ceramic switches with screw on brass covers mounted on wooden pattesses with woven silk wiring And I've also found it in a wiring publication from the early 20th century. I recall the sketch in the 'Stannos method of wiring showing' advert showing the comparison with the alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back