2x 3kw immersions connected to 1 double pole switch and 16A MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was called to a job today where the property had no hot water, the double pole switch would not switch, I removed the face plate and could see the neutral wire burnt out. I have replaced the switch with a new one.

The double pole switch feeds a Quartz E7 timer which switched between peak and off peak so you never have both immersions on at he same time but someone has connected the boost live to the mains live and left the off peak connection where its supposed to be, this means during certain times of the day (between 02.00 and 08.00) both of the immersion are live and if the thermostats are calling for heat then both immersions will be drawing current. would this be the reason the double pole switch burnt out?

I have removed the boost connection from mains live and reconnected it back to the boost terminal

I'm just trying to explain the situation to the customer.

Sponsored Links
.... this means during certain times of the day (between 02.00 and 08.00) both of the immersion are live and if the thermostats are calling for heat then both immersions will be drawing current. would this be the reason the double pole switch burnt out?
If the switch and/or cable was rated at appreciable less than about 26A, then I imagine that the answer could well be 'yes'. Mind you, a B16 MCB should trip in well under an hour at such a load.

Kind Regards, John

so the switch was labelled water heater I assume its a 20A switch. The supply cables to the switch are 2.5mm I think, the neutral cable was burnt out. I have never seen 2 immersions connected to the same switch or same MCB its not normal practice is it? the customer wants to know if this could have caused a fire?

so the switch was labelled water heater I assume its a 20A switch. The supply cables to the switch are 2.5mm I think, the neutral cable was burnt out. I have never seen 2 immersions connected to the same switch or same MCB its not normal practice is it?
It's obviously no acceptable to have two immersions (that could be 'on' at the same time) fed via the same 20a switch or from a circuit with a 16A MCB. Even 2.5mm cable would be marginal (and inadequate with all but the most generous of installation methods).
... by the the customer wants to know if this could have caused a fire?
Yep, I would imagine it could have.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The Quartz E7 is designed so that the boost function does not work during the OFF peak period when the bottom immersion is already energised. So you could not have both immersions on at the same time.
As I understand it, that's what the OP was describing, but that someone had circumnavigated that (sensible) functionality by connecting the boost immersion to the incoming L to the Quartz E7 - or did I misunderstand?

As you say, it is good that he has now corrected the wiring.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back