3/4" imperial stopcock with odd fitting

An update to this: I have my 22mm stopcock and copper metric/imperial olive ready, but have just scraped a patch of paint off the pipe going into the old stopcock and it looks like it's steel*. I tried a couple of compression fittings to 3/4" steel pipe before I pulled it all out and they always wept - is this doomed to failure? I have some water hawk this time instead of tape, which I'm hoping might help.

* There was a bit of tinned copper pipe (?) just above the stopcock, so it might be that.
to test for steel - use a fridge ( or other ) magnet . It's copper tho' ;)

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with my house when we moved here.
We replaced the stopcock using a freezing kit because the street shut off valve was rusted and wouldn't move.
Fortunately that's one problem I don't have.

to test for steel - use a fridge ( or other ) magnet . It's copper tho' ;)
It doesn't stick, but... the pipework I've pulled isn't copper and isn't magnetic either. According to the internet not all stainless steels are magnetic, so, umm, I dunno!

Most steel used wasn’t stainless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back