3 basic questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no stranger to painting although I don't think I'm that great at it.

Currently painting my downstairs cloakroom toilet - nightmare as it's too cramped however the plumber is hopefully going to remove ALL fixtures soon so I can paint, and then replace with new stuff.

My two questions:

1) The walls were dark blue, and I've just put on one coat of the new paint, a very light Apple Green. It's quite streaky. Initially I thought it's just because it's the first coat, 2 more coats and it will be fine. However, should I have put on an undercoat or something first?

2) The walls are pretty rubbish, uneven and a bit lumpy. This can't really be rectified - i.e. by sanding them down. There is also a wooden bit which covers some pipes and that's not great looking. I guess the only way around it is to re-plaster which isn't really worth it in this case - anyone else dealt with rubbish looking walls?

3) Where or what brand of roller is good? I used one tonight from homebase and it was so poor, it barely put any paint on the wall.

Thanks,
Rabbit

Sponsored Links
1. A c oat of cheap white matt emulsion to mask the dark blue, followed by 2 coats of your apple green would be best.

2 Depends how much it bothers you. It would bother me. Getting a plaster perfect wall means having it skimmed. Alternative - line it with Wallrock Thermal Liner. It takes up a lot of the imperfections and would be cheaper than getting a plasterer in (latter would be approx £100-150?) Obv. before you start painting again!

3.Get a palm sander and give the wooden pipe cover (plus other wooodwork such as skirtingboards and door) a really good sanding, prime it and undercoat it then gloss/eggshell it. Do the top coat last, after the emulsion on the walls.

£150 isn't actually too bad if it ends up as being a really nice straight wall

May consider that!

It's a bit difficult to really do anything until toilet, radiator and sink is installed. It's just too awkward a space.

Once they are out I can then decide whether to get the walls sorted too

It's a bit difficult to really do anything until toilet, radiator and sink is installed. It's just too awkward a space.

Absolutlely. It is virtually impossible to plaster a toilet room with the sanitaryware in place (unless it's a palatial room). Get it done now while you have the chance. Otherwise you will regret it, if not for the rest of your life, at least every time you use the room.

What was the third question?!

Sponsored Links
3) Where or what brand of roller is good? I used one tonight from homebase and it was so poor, it barely put any paint on the wall.

;)[/quote]

Thanks!

I use either Farrow and Ball ones or good quality microfibre ones from a decorator's centre.

With rollers , you get what you pay for, as a general rule.

Absolutlely. It is virtually impossible to plaster a toilet room with the sanitaryware in place (unless it's a palatial room). Get it done now while you have the chance. Otherwise you will regret it, if not for the rest of your life, at least every time you use the room.

What was the third question?!

Sorry I mean't just painting the room itself. I'm planning on replacing toilet, sink and radiator.

So I've started painting but really there's not a lot of point doing it now.

I'm hoping plumber can remove the toilet, sink and radiator, then I can have all the space I need to paint properly, and then get him back in a month or something to fit the new items.

I have found some cheap white emulsions just don't seem to cover dark colours, despite many coats.

I've been quite impressed with some of the obliterating emulsions which really cover dark colours. Some of this in white then your actual finish colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back