3 Bay / Way Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 bay switch in the kitchen, looking at it from left to right front first switch 1. First kitchen light second switch 2 Main kitchen light third switch 3 Outside light My plan was to replace it with a 2 bay switch for lights 1 & 3 and place above it a dimmer switch for Light no 2. The old switch that worked fine had the following connections, looking at it from the top back left to right:

TOP ROW Common L1 L2 Common

BOTTOM ROW L1 L2 Common L1 L2

Other than earth there are two enclosed cables entering the switch both have BLACK and RED sets although only one set is live.
I assume somewhere the outside light no3 feeds off one of the others I need to know what switches I need and where to connect the cables can you please help? I have lost my plan of the orignal wireing all I know is both top row common and bottom row common are shorted out

warm regards

Donal M

Sponsored Links
think you mean way, not bay,
are the switches still there now? and what are they doing (no i don't mean are they dancing to Jive bunny / sitting there doing nothing)

Hi Breezer
Yes the switches are still there but i dont know where to connect the two red and two black that i have remember only one set is live I called them BAY beacuse I dont want to mix up WAY being a switch that does 2 functions or am i :oops: barking
Cheers
Donal

i read but am unsure. the switches are still where they were, but have you taken any wires out ? and where do the 2 red and 2 black come from? or are they in the patress (box)

a picture would really help (not sure how? look in forum information)

Sponsored Links
You have three lights and four wires.

Normally one cable containing one red and one black goes to a one-way light switch. Live goes to the switch on the red wire. When the switch is closed ot connects live to the black wire. The black is not neutral, but switched retun live. This then takes power back to the ceiling light and is connected to the bulb.

In this case it seems most likely that only one of the reds is live. The two blacks and other red probably each go back to the bulb in one of the three lights. One wire is supplying power for all three. This then needs the live red to be connected to one terminal on each switch. I think you meant exactly this, when you said the three common terminals were 'shorted out'. Better to say they were connected together. Each of the other three wires should go to one terminal on each switch, most likely the L1's.

The switch terminals are arranged with common either above or below the L1 and L2 which go with it. The middle one is ther other way up so they can be fitted closer together.

I would suggest you get a dual metal wall box. This is designed to hold two single switches side by side. You can then mount the dimmer next to a double switch with the wires still coming into the same box. Alternatively, it is possible to get switches which you build up yourself and you could include a dimmer this way.

Thanks Damocles
for such a quick reply I will study your comments and try to put things right I will post back within the next 24hrs as soon as I have had a chance to try and let you know thanks again for your help
Donal M

breezer said:
i read but am unsure. the switches are still where they were, but have you taken any wires out ? and where do the 2 red and 2 black come from? or are they in the patress (box)

a picture would really help (not sure how? look in forum information)

Hi Breezer
yes the 2 red and the 2 black have been disconnected and I am unsure where they came from (on the switch I mean) If I can't sort it a picture would be the next step I will keep all informed. I think Damocles is on the right track it's just whether i can follow his instructions.
Cheers
Donal

(had to go to bed some time, thanks damocles) yes follow the instructions slowly, you will be fine

3 gang would better :)

Havnt got time to read again, but I will later if it is still not sorted.

Many thanks all sorted I now have my 1st light and outside light working as they should and my dimmer is superb on my main kitchen lights all is working perfect again many thanks and Damocles I am very greaful for your precise and helpful instructions
Cheers
Donal M
A very happy forum poster :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back