3 core and earth flex - should I use both live cores?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to hardwire my boiler into a FCU.

The plug has already been cut off and the flex is 3 core and earth. How should this be wired? I assuming that as it has the extra core it should be used?

I'm also presumming that it's OK to use a 13amp FCU if I change the fuse to a 3amp?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is at least one crucial question you should be asking yourself. The first is,

How was the plug wired up?

How was the plug wired up?

:D Unfortuately it had been taken off before I got to it.

I've had a look in the boiler manual and when referring to the electrical installation it only mentions a live (brown or red) and a neutral (black or blue) connections. There is no mention of anything else apart from the earth.

Therefore I thinking brown for live, blue for neutral and leave the black redundant.

Sponsored Links
With a combi boiler you only need a live n and earth 3 wires
Other boilers may need 4 wires 4 a pump over run

you should have a room stat wired to the boiler to be part p

If the black is redundant, it good practice is for it to be grounded.

Why can't you access the other end of the flex to see how it has been terminated?

you should have a room stat wired to the boiler to be part p

There is a room stat in the hallway.

The instructions state

"The connection to the mains nust either be: A 3amp fused 3 pin plug and unswitched socket outlet or a double pole isolator with a contact seperation of 3mm in both poles and supplying the appliance and controls only."

I take it a switched FCU is classed as a DP isolator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back