Sponsored Links
I should make clear that although the regulations say a ring circuit conductors must have a minimum CCC of 20A, it does also state that the minimum size shall be 2.5mm² (except MICC) for some reason.

I was just attempting to assure Tactical that it is electrically safe - although it does not appear to be a ring in this case anyway.

Sponsored Links
Because MICC can run hotter?

I think that might only be part of the picture, even when of the PVC oversheathed type, or exposed to touch (so therefore 70C limiting temp) 2L1.5 is rated to 23A, its 28A if its bare and clipped to non combustable material out of touch where it can run at 105C

Something in the back of my mind says theres something about the grade of copper, the cores of MICC clearly look/feel different from those in T&E, less bright, and harder and I think I remember being told that one was hard drawn copper while the other was soft annealed copper and I know its got something to do with the crystaline structure of the material but thats as about as far as I can remember

Good morning all.
Having had a look at more of the boxes it would seem that every one is wired
  • Black - neutral
  • Brown - live
  • Grey - unused
  • Bare copper - earth (sheathed)
Connected to a B16 breaker.

There are 10 sockets in total on this breaker and all using this cable as discussed last night.

as well you checked.
The ideal standard is to use grey as neutral. But its best left as it is.

So are you going to use the more standard twin and earth ? brown/blue ?

as well you checked.
The ideal standard is to use grey as neutral. But its best left as it is.

So are you going to use the more standard twin and earth ? brown/blue ?

As I'm just adding 1 additional double socket and there's plenty of loose length on the current cable I'll use what is there.

Get some blue sleeving and put it on whatever wire is being used as the neutral so it's less confusing for the next guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back