3 Gang 2 Way 10AX switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace my existing plastic 3 gang 2 way switch with a volex chrome 3 gang 2 way switch.

The wiring is set up as 5 wires across the top with 2 being black with a red case, 2 red and 1 blue and 4 wires across the bottom being 1 black with a red case (which is connected to the top internally), 2 red and 1 yellow going into a connection named either Common or 1 way.

The new Volex switch however has only 4 connections across the top and 5 connections across the bottom named either L, L1 or L2.

Also, at present the earth appears to be looped into itself and on the Volex switch there is a connection specifically for the earth.

If anybody can help I would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't think of the connections as being five at the top and four at the bottom.

They will be set out in sets of three like a triangle one way up and then the next the other way up. The back of the switch will have lines to show you the boundary between the three separate switches.

The two switches are also, probably, labbelled differently.

If your old one is C, L1 and L2

Then the equivalent Volex connection is

C = L
L1 = L1
L2 = L2

Take a photo BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF THE OLD SWITCH or remove any wires.
Or make a very detailed diagram.
If there are more than one cable coming into the box, number them clearly too.

Otherwise you'll need a spark to sort you out.

PS, Make sure the front plate of the switch is earthed.

Normally with volex / crabtree the connections are

[code:1]

Normal switch : Volex switch

C : L1

L1 : L2

L2 : L3

[/code:1]

Sponsored Links
Oh right, missed that. Maybe they have changed them. I've not had cause to work on one for a while :oops:

The switch
switch-layout2.JPG
shown here is only two gang but it shows how the terminals are split between the two switches.

1 and 7 will be common which are the ones you need to be careful with. The marking for common varies with com, L, and L1 all being used by different manufactures.

If you get 1 and 2 mixed up or 5 and 6 mixed up the switch will still work all it will mean is on and off positions on switch will change.

The fact you have a yellow means one switch is likely a two way switch and I would expect to find two terminals with no wires in from your description! The red and black with red sleeves will likely be the switch wires from lamps and for one way lamps these will be opposite ends of switch. i.e. 1 and 3 but for two way switch likely they are together i.e. 1 and 2. Also with two way 1 and 2 is likely to have one of the three core cables (red,yellow,blue) in with each terminal with them and the third will likely go to opposite end 3 or 7.

Photos as already said are a good idea. If you post photos of both switches I am sure someone can point you in correct direction.

I say likely as there is no correct way to wire and different electricians may use different methods. If as I expect one of the three wires of the red, yellow, blue cable is in terminal on it's own do make a note of which one that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back