3 Gang 2 Way Smart Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’ve reviewed previous posts on this subject but I’m struggling to find a solution to what is probably a common problem.
I have 2x 3 gang switches that I’d like to replace with a Smart Switches.
Downstairs the 3 gang operates a light in the hallway and an outside light and also has a 2 way switch operating a light on the landing.
Upstairs the 3 gang operates a bathroom light and an attic light and also has a 2 way switch operating the same light on the landing that the downstairs switch operates.
Try as I might I can’t get the 2 way element to operate.
Any help would be appreciated.
7BE4D234-441B-4A63-A43C-87F6231CDF43.jpeg
7BE4D234-441B-4A63-A43C-87F6231CDF43.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Do you mean it doesn't work now or after attempting to fit smart switch?

What sort of smart switch and where are you fitting the smart switch?

Are the pictures upstairs or down?

Picture of the other switch please.

Hi. Thanks for the quick response. Using the current “standard” switches the setup works fine but it’s setting it up with the Smart Switches that I’m struggling with. I’ve had a look at the upstairs switch and it’s identical to downstairs. The Smart Switches I’m using are non branded and I’ve included some photos below. The suggestions provided are for a more standard setup by the looks of it.

Sponsored Links
The existing switch is a 3 gang, 2 way switch.
That 'smart' effort is not - it's a single switch with 3 separate outputs.

Any control from multiple locations will require that the individual switches are programmed in such a way that you can only have one of them on at the same time, and that operating one of them signals the other one via whatever means it has to do that.

There is another question of whether the upstairs / downstairs lights are on the same circuit or not, as that new switch can only be used for lights on a single circuit.

OK. Sounds complicated but having read the instructions again you’re correct in that the 2 switches need to be paired. The issue is the multi programming as it were. 2 switches controlling completely separate lights and 1 controlling a common light. They’re all on the same circuit. Thanks again for your support

Of course, with smart switches you don't need two-way circuits.

The five lights could be controlled with two switches like you have pictured although might be inconvenient for the stair/landing light only able to be operated by touch from one location.

Can we have a picture of the other existing switch saying which is upstairs and which is downstairs?
You say both switches are wired the same but that doesn't seem likely from the picture we have.

Last edited:
Probably worth mentioning as well, the common switch (I.e. the one that controls the landing light on both) is the one furthest left on the picture.

Again, probably don’t need to tell you but the middle switch is the common one. Thanks for any support you can offer in advance

This is from the same make of switches.

It seems they can work as two-way with no wiring between.

upload_2020-11-1_19-43-32.png

So, perhaps they can be configured to work as you want. I don't know; I cant find any actual instructions.

@The Adams Family
I am in no way an expert in these new fangled WiFi switches. Maybe they are useful so you can control the lights from the poolside in Spain. This may be rather a lot of effort as we can’t even visit the next door neighbours from Wednesday!

However (and, as I say, I’m no expert) you may find this video of some help. Heavens knows what it all means…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back