Replace 3-Gang + 3 Way switch, with a 3-Gang Smart Switch with No Neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently swapped my living room light switch which was a 1-gang basic light switch, and replaced it with a 1-gang smart switch. The wiring behind my light switch had no neutral wire, so I made sure I purchased the "no neutral" version of the smart switch.

Now I'm moving onto my kitchen light switch which is a 3-gang switch, but 1 of the switches is a part of a 3-way setup. I didn't expect the wiring to look so complicated (especially if there is supposedly no neutral wire). I was wrong.

I took the liberty to draw my current wiring in hope that anyone here can provide some guidance. I've taken the time to colour code and label the cables and connections so that I can avoid any confusion or misunderstanding. And hopefully any help provided can be easily translated because of this labelling.

The image also shows what the smart switch looks like, simply comprising of a 'L1', 'L2' and 'L3', and a 'L'.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
In the main smart switches work as master/slave, and all switches in the two way system need changing. With the make I have only 2 gang available.

Thanks for responding, but I cant work out if you're telling or asking me something? Are you saying that in order to get this working I need to change the other 2 switches that make up the 3-way, too?

A standard 2 way switch has com, S1 and S2 a wifi has sensing (S) line in, and line out, still three wires, but completely different way in which they work, so both switches need changing for them to work. an example here.
light_switch.jpg
This is picture of the single gang master note the size, many of mine need spacers as will not fit in back box, and I did have 5, but they were interfering with each other, so now only using 3, great for bedroom where we have no two way switches, and the remote controls mean I can switch in bed, but rather expensive, £40 a pair plus the hub if you want to connect to a PC.

I have never found a 3 gang version of 2 way smart switch. And when I used the 5 switches was not impressed, I would say hay google turn off wanting it to turn off the radio which was playing, and it would reply turning off 5 switches and lights when out, say hay google turn light back on, it would reply don't know how to do that yet. I was not impressed. Lucky Nest Mini never tried turning central heating off.

I also had problems using G9 bulbs, had to fit load capacitor to stop lights glowing, and tried 3 makes of bulbs before I found one that did not flicker, with BA22d and E14 had no problems, with GU10 I had to swap bulbs around to stop flicker.

I have 18 Energenie devices showing on my PC one is an extension lead so 4 devices in one, so 21 switches and TRV heads, and in last house with just 6 devices I thought they were great, but Homebase I think stopped stocking them and had a sale, so a got quite a number at same time as going so cheap, that's when it all started to go wrong. Not sure how much is down to the Nest Mini's which we use as no radio reception where I live, but be warned as the number of wifi devices goes up, chances that they malfunction increases.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back