3 Gang Intermediate Switch conundrum!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so here's my situation...

I'm doing my kitchen lighting and am setting up 3 zones. Seating area (Z1), Dining / Kitchen area (Z2) & Island (Z3).

There are 3 doors into this room and so I need 3 switches for each Zone. So this will mean 3 x 3 Gang switches. The problem I have is that Wifey has decided on a LAP Slate effect switch / socket which doesn't seem to make a 3 gang intermediate switch (or any intermediate for that matter).

I did consider a bridge switch to maybe get around this, but can't get the faceplate to match the LAP stuff.

So here's my solution; I plan to use one of the light switches to switch the power to an octo (miniature) relay which will use the contacts as my intermediate. I will then use the other 2 switches as part of a normal 3 way switch setup. This will obviously have to be repeated 3 times to cover each zone.

Now, I've never heard of anyone doing this before, and whilst I can't see anything wrong / unsafe with the circuit, it does seem OTT for a light.

Has anyone come across this before, if so how did you solve it?

Cheers

PS I could try post a cct diagram if needed

Sponsored Links
You solve it by not having every zone controlled by every door.

For example the external door only needs one switch to turn on some sensible and reliable lighting.

If you get it wrong it could be annoying though.

I would of course wire it for intermediates if in future if switch styles become available

Hi AndyPRK,

My thinking for having the the 3 switches at the external door is to stop getting to the door and forgetting to switch the lights off then having to go back to switch it off....that would be annoying!

Sponsored Links
I have a relay controlled lighting system in my boys' bedrooms.

In my case the coil on the relay is 12 or 24V (cannot remember) so retractive switches are ELV.

There are several switches in parallel and they all operate the relay. One press turns the lights on and another off.

You could use this system but it would be expensive and the relays are a tad clunky.

The cheaper way is to persuade Mrs Ydraiggoch to change her brand of switch to a metal plated one by Scolmore (Click) where you can build switch plates with switch modules of your choosing.

http://www.scolmore.com/_pdfs/definity.pdf

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back