3 Gang Light Switch - 1 light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attached is photo of my kitchen switch.

The 3rd light is not working as shown in the picture.

Power is going to 3rd ceiling pendant when the 3rd switch is on and stops when 3rd switch is off.

But the light itself does not go on.

The 1st and 2nd lights are working fine.

I have since changed the switch to a new MK 3 gang switch and changed the ceiling pendant entirely but still have the same problem.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to above the ceiling space where cables are run.

I have check all individual wiring in switch and pendant with a voltage detector pen and all seem OK.

I have decided to call in electrician this is more than I bargained for. For now, I am curious as to what it might be.

2017-12-29 kitchen socket.JPG

Sponsored Links
If you have a 'live' going to the switch, and out of the switch, and then at the light - then you may be missing a neutral somewhere.

Checking at the light in question would be the first place to check, WITH THE POWER COMPLETELY OFF.

you may be missing a neutral somewhere
and you will not find that
with a voltage detector pen

You need a two pole voltage tester, or a multimeter to do effective testing.

As you have 3 core cable plus a live, you probably have a junction box somewhere. If you are lucky, it may be at one of the light fittings or (and more likely) it is somewhere in the ceiling void and could be anywhere.

PS I dont see any earth conductors. Are there any?

Sponsored Links
Attached is photo of my kitchen switch.

The 3rd light is not working as shown in the picture.

Power is going to 3rd ceiling pendant when the 3rd switch is on and stops when 3rd switch is off.

But the light itself does not go on.
Has it always been like this?

Unfortunately, I do not have access to above the ceiling space where cables are run.
I suspect that you do, but what you mean is that you will not tolerate the disruption needed to access it.

I have decided to call in electrician
Cross your fingers.

And mentally prepare yourself for having the cieling repaired/replaced, just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back