3 lights same room 1 switch and an extra wire? help (PICTURE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have been fitting a new ceiling rose. the sitting roomn has 1 light switch 3 switches and 3 lights. have 3 main wires each with the 3 colours except 1 which has a fourth wire (yellow) now we have wired it up with out the yellow wire and what happens is - when you switch light 1 on the ligh comes on and so does the middle light. when you swich light 2 (middle light) nothing happens when you switch light 3 light 3 comes on and so does the middle light. light 1 and 3 are the wall lights and 2 it the ceiling light.

can some one help please? we are unsure what to do with the yellow wire so that all the switches work for the right lights!

help please

Sponsored Links
picture of what we have so far

DSCF2802.jpg

A picture of the switch wireing would increase the odds ;) (and the other roses)

Why don't you connect it up as it was before?

because it was a horrible gold ligh thing and i just want a plain rose wall thing so i can put a retro light cover thing on it. i have took a pic of the switches but we didnt touch those. will post in a min

and..... we cant remember how it was wired up either

Sponsored Links
It is quite clear from the pictures that your eyesight needs checking and is probably the cause of the wiring error. ;)

it looks to me like the 3 core and earth cable , red blue and yellow, is 2 switched lives and neutral on the blue . you need to try and get us some clearer pictures, but i can definiteley see the blue connected to the blacks in the switch indicating it is a neutral.

Nick

I think the blue is supposed to be a neutral and should be with the two blacks in the ceiling rose. But by connecting like it is then it's put two lights in series. Can't see any other way the light could come on as stated.
The yellow is the switched live and should go where the blue is at present.
Anyone agree or disagree?
:rolleyes:

dude, does your camera have MACRO focus in the options? Use it, its designed for close ups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back