3 phase electric motors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 phase motor and controls supplied by a 3P+N supply. I need to relocated the cabinet to another area which has only a 3 phase supply. Can I use the motor to to give me that neutral in the new location.

Many thanks, in advance

Sponsored Links
I think he means can he derive a neutral from the motor for the control supply? If so then the answer is no. For a start the motor won't be on power so there won't be a neutral there when the control circuit is open, secondly it unbalances the motor phases (but for that amount of current probably wouldn't have mattered).
The options are to either install a 3p+n supply, buy 400v control gear or source a 400v to 230v transformer.
As it sounds like a workplace then you really ought to get an electrician to sort it for you.

Yes Spark123 you are correct. The neutral is needed to control a blow motor for a boiler, but only after the motor is running I'm at odds with my Boss who thinks taking a neutral from the boiler is not a problem. Is there anything I can quote to strengthen my case.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Can you not take the feed (L+N)for the blower from the boiler (assuming it can take the extra load) Then just use some relays/contactors to do the interconnecting controls from the motor controls (with appropriate labelling if there is multiple circuits in any enclosure) ?

No ricicle. The supply voltage for the boiler comes from a 400-24 transformer. 240v (L & N) is for the blow motor only.

No ricicle. The supply voltage for the boiler comes from a 400-24 transformer. 240v (L & N) is for the blow motor only.

Is the motor 3 phase or single phase...it says 3 phase motor in your OP?

But if you have a N at the boiler panel (which you were originally going to use), you will have a line also that supplies your 400/24 tx. One line and a N = 240 v ?

I'm lost!
why exactly do you need a neutral?
is the blower motor 3ph as ricicle has already asked? if so then the neutral is only for the control circuit, so as has already been posted either

fit a 400/230 transformer in the panel
or convert to 24v control and use the existing 400/24 transformer if its man enough

or else run a neutral into the new position
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back