3 phase loading on cable..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks after some advice if you dont mind, I have been given a task at work to cost the infrastructure for 3 phase shore supply sockets for various marine craft and will be utilizing cabling that has been left from recent decommisioned plant.

What I have at my disposal is 2-95mm 4core SWA cables with a length of 245Meters from origin to proposed location for a DB. Cables are in 150mm ducting.

Question is what would be the max current I could expect from this cabling allowing for say a 5% volt drop this would give me an indication as to how many outlets we could have and therefore draw up a spec, I'm not a electrician as you have probably guessed..

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
I'm not a electrician as you have probably guessed..

Thanks in advance..

Why have you been asked to design this install then? This sounds like a job for a good industrial spark to be honest.

Certainly not a question for a DIY website!

You need to employ an electrical engineer* / architect to specify / design this for you.

*an actual electrical engineer, rather than your run of the mill electrician who calls them self an engineer.

Sponsored Links
All I need for now is a max load for the cabling so we can put a proposal forward to the chiefs saying we have x amount of power available , if the work is given the go ahead the electrical contractor will have to supply a full design and brief..

It's not that simple. There's an entire appendix in the regulations purely on how to determine the current carrying capacity of a cable.

There are many factors that affect how much current a cable can safely handle.

Thinks like how and where the cable is installed, the type of proposed load, the cable type, the insulation type, the supply protective device(s) type, the earthing arrangements, ambient temperature, and that's off the top of my head.

A length of cable doesn't specify "we have x amount of power available"

Establish, by enquiry with the local supply board, what the intended supply source can provide. You then have a professional design a system up to that capability (if you want the maximum it can supply)

Thank you, points noted and digested......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back