3 port valve wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a 3 port valve (22mm Honeywell)

The old one had 6 wires and the new one only has 5

The old one had an external relay and the new one does not.

It's the only replacement available by Honeywell so I could do with a little help please

Thanks, hopefully!

Sponsored Links
Thank you,, but been there!

They don't seem to have any wiring info at all for the V4073A,,, just the others!!

Great!!

Sponsored Links
Sure its there: http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/catalogu.htm#SECTION 3- SUNDIAL PLANS See Y plan that's a 4073.

But your old valve was probably (because there was a relay) a motor-open-motor closed one, whereas we mostly use spring return ones now. That means the wiring is totally different, though of course you need wires from most of the same places. One which can be a pita is that you need a "satisfied" wire from the HW cylinder stat as well as the "HW OFF" contact in the programmer. It they're not available it can be difficult to provide. In that case I'd get a valve which IS compatible with your old system - they last longer anyway. You can always flog a 4073.

What make was the old valve.

I thought there was something in the Honeywell instructions regarding the lack of a wire.

I had one of these 6 wire valves about 5 years ago, which was when I first took an interest in the workings of the mid-position valve. I've got my notes in front of me and this is what I wrote. 'Swap the 'c' and '1' on the cyl stat and wire the new valve as the 4073, but this will not have the brown wire which is no longer required' I think I spoke to the Honeywell Technical dept which gave me that advice and my system works ok.

Thanks for getting into this guys!!

Honeywell have told me to swap C - 1 as Shaggy says and put the grey to hot water off,, hot water off was not previously used on the programmer..

The programmer is a EP2002 and at the moment it is only wired N-Neutral L-Live 1-Not used 2-Not used 3-Orange on valve and C on cylinder stat 4-looks like it goes to the pump...

I think this has been modified a few times before

What terminals should I be using on the programmer?

Obviously L and 5 Are joined and live
1 will go to the grey on the valve
2?
3?
4?

Just confirming what is stated in the honeywell wiring guide.
wire new valve colour to colour except for brown which is missing.
ON SINGLE OUTPUT TIME SWITCHS.
Omit brown wire and reverse C & 1 on cylinder stat.
ON DOUBLE OUTPUT TIME SWITCHES.
Omit brown wire and reverse C & 1 on cylinder stat.
1. for programmers capable of selecting heating only.Run extra cable from the grey wire on the valve to the HOT WATER OFF terminal of the programmer.
2.For programmers NOT capable of selecting heating only. This extra cable is not required and MUST NOT be included.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers MANDATE...

All seems to be working well now,, won't be totally sure until we're up to temperature but seems fine so far

I would like to be sure that the programmer is wired up exactly as it should be. I have double checked everything else and seems good.

The reason that I am querying the programmer wiring is because I know it was replaced a few years ago and I'd like to be sure!!

Anyone have a Wiring Diagram for a EP2002??

Advice on which terminals should be used and which goes where would be helpful too

Cheers Guys

Basically there should be be 3 outputs from the programmer.
That is 1 related to heating/room stat (live when ON)
And 2 related to Hot Water ( 1 output live when ON and 1 output live when OFF
A. When CH is selected one of the terminals becomes live. The wire from this terminal goes to the room stat, then through the room stat to the terminal block and joined to the 'white' wire of the valve
B. When HW is selected another terminal becomes live, the wire from this terminal goes to 'com' on the cylinder stat.
Output 1 of the cylinder stat goes to the terminal block then on to the boiler/pump, but it also joins up with the 'orange' wire. This is when there is no call for HW but there is for CH and the feed to the boiler comes through the valve 'orange' wire.
Output 2 from the cylinder stat goes to the terminal block and on to the grey wire of the valve.
C. The HW switch is like a two way, so when HW is not ON (ie OFF) theres a further live that connects to the terminal block and the grey going to valve.
So with a meter you you can check which terminals are live/dead in the various conditions.
Hope it helps.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ep2002 goes
N
L
1 = hw off
2 = ch off
3 = hw on
4 = ch on
5 is a Common you link to L

Wiring as on the honeywell wiring diag given above.

Why not just change the sync motor inside the valve at a cost of 11 pounds and save yourself all the bother of the re-wire it takes 5 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back