3 way light switchs to LED dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I recently bought 3 varilight eclique dimmers to replace the normal 3 switches around my hallway after putting in led spotlights. the old lighting consisted of a double switch at the front door - 1 for porch light the other was the first light of the 3 way, down the hallway was an intermediate switch and at the end was the last switch. these where normal type (common, L1, L2 and the intermediate was a double L1, double L2). however the varilight are load, s-link and live. I have tried endless combinations with them and have had no joy! does anyone know how to wire them correctly?

Sponsored Links
Did you get one master and two slave switches? That's what you need.

Screenshot 2016-03-01 17.23.44.png

I have tried endless combinations with them and have had no joy!

On a positive note, you're still alive!! And your house hasn't burnt down!!

Did you try reading the instructions that came with them?

hi have got the same diagram as that! however the old wiring is not really straightforward- in the double switch were 2 cables, 1 fed both commons (red) and the black fed 1way (the porch I presume). the other cable had black in 1way and red in 2 way. the intermediate switch had 2 cables in it, 1 cable fed L1(red and black) the other fed L2(red and black). the last switch has 2 cables in it, 1 fed L2(red) and L1(black)the other is a single red cable feeding the common! I just am not sure which cables go where! ( and I am glad I didn't burn down my house!)

Sponsored Links
The most important question first of all, is do you have two slave units and one master dimmer?

Because if the answer is no, it's not gonna work no matter how you connect it up

yes the double switch is the master the 2 singles are slaves.

Just had a proper read through of your description and the diagram (I've never used these in a three-way setup)

But, from your description, it sounds like you have the live feed into the switches at the double, and the switch wire out to the lights at the last switch. As per this diagram (Switch on the left is your double, then the intermediate, then the last switch).

lighting_diagram_3wayA.png

But the varilight instructions require a 3-core strapper if the live and switch live are at different switches, you only have two.

Screenshot 2016-03-01 20.53.45.png

Maybe someone will correct me.

It's not obvious to me if the two figures you've quoted are the only two ways of wiring them, or if they are just two examples. Why would it not work if connected like figure 2 but with the load connected at the other end of the chain?

It's not obvious to me if the two figures you've quoted are the only two ways of wiring them, or if they are just two examples. Why would it not work if connected like figure 2 but with the load connected at the other end of the chain?
Presumably the master dimmer is the one with all the complicated 'lectronics in it, so the load must be connected to that.

Then your (for examples sake, we'll use R&B) black, takes your load from switch one to switch 3.
Your red then has to take your live from switch one to switch 3.
Then there is nothing to connect to your signal link between the switches.

Like I say, I'm not 100% but there must a be a reason they put both diagrams in

Presumably the master dimmer is the one with all the complicated 'lectronics in it

Yes.

so the load must be connected to that.

Doesn't follow.

thankyou for trying to help me with this! do you think I need another wire to connect the S-links together then? after first seeing the diagrams I thought that, but was not sure what to do with all the other red,black wires or whether they were live or neutral!

All the conductors connected to the switches are Line(live).
We are unsure about whether an extra wire is needed.

However, if it works like this - as the instructions state:
upload_2016-3-2_10-48-5.png

then I can see no reason why it wouldn't work like this:
upload_2016-3-2_10-51-45.png

You can try it before causing damage to put in another cable.
Let us know how you get on.

so looking at that I would just put 1 live (I presume red) into 1st (master) then in the other two just have neutral (I presume black) through the load, but how would I connect the s-links?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back