3 way switch with 3 intermediate switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now know that you should use two 2 way switches and one intermediate however I have already replaced three old switches with three intermediates.

Yes I know i should have done more research before buying the new switches or after I realised they were so different to the old ones!

The light is working from all three points but I wonder whether my set up is safe?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
An intermediate is the only switch that can be used as intented, or as a 1 way or a 2 way switch.
I assume you left the fourth terminal vacant on two of them

The only downfall is there usually a more expensive way to do things

Sponsored Links
An intermediate is the only switch that can be used as intented, or as a 1 way or a 2 way switch.
I assume you left the fourth terminal vacant on two of them

The only downfall is there usually a more expensive way to do things

Yes, I've left the top right terminal vacant. I wasn't sure which to leave free so went for this one and it worked. I've read since that the wiring configuration isn't too important as long as they all match. Is this correct?

Indeed - it has cost about £6 more than it should have but I can live with that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back