3 x 1.5m roof lantern with bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The architect and a lot of relatives in the building game suggest going for the above combo for our new ground floor extension (taking 3m to 6m). I'm OK with the roof lantern because that's the modern thing to do (right? :)) but to have both? I think their off their horses.

We have a big south facing garden for starters and lots of natural light as it is. With that much glass, surely we're going to be baking in the summer and freezing in the winter? I've seen some photos on the internet of this setup and that is an incredible amount of natural light. Where's people's sense of moderation?

9f74d7346d733cc36c8dd99034693357.jpg
DSC_2288.jpg

I know modern glass is a good insulator and we can get blinds etc. But why solve a problem when you don't have to create one in the first place?

Would you go for both?

Sponsored Links
It's personal preference really, I like the big slabs of wall glazing but just with some french doors instead and maybe the odd window so that you can get some airflow without having to open a door, Bifolds cost the earth (for decent ones) and seem to be seldom used except for that first barbecue party when you show it off to your mates. Depends on your garden/view out the back too.

I wouldn't go with that much glazing for the reasons you mentioned + building control may have something to say about u.values I have some 8' bi folds and when its sunny they are great to open fully.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would say we use are bi folds for about 2 months of the year as actual bi folds and the rest of the time its just a door into the garden. So as you say, do you want to be looking at all that glazing in winter. Plus there is furniture to consider if its not going to be a wall.

Too much glass to clean, I prefer privacy and that is too visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back