Design idea - question on placement of 2 roof lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My architect has proposed 2 roof lanterns 3m wide x 1.5m deep, to be placed almost about 1.5m apart but to the side of each other as shown in this image.

Would it look odd and is it unusual for me to consider having the one in the living room area vertically placed whilst the other in the kitchen area horizontal? The motivation in wanting to do this would be to get more light into the living room extension but also so that the sofa etc could be directly under the roof lantern.

Also does anyone think that the kitchen island is far too long? I'm wondering if instead we should keep a dining room table under the kitchen roof lantern by shortening the island? Another possible option is top bring the living room lantern further inline with the chimney to achieve the same effect but then again the two roof lanterns will not be lined up and I'm not sure if that will look silly?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
WOW! Now that's an ambitious project! There will be nothing left of the original house.

The lanterns will not have been designed on a whim. You need to consider the roof layout and how the joists will work when trimming out the roof lantern, with attention paid to those large (window) openings and the loads on the lintels etc. It will mean that the lantern will be occupying the full width of the room unless you trim it down. Presumably it is a single storey extension with a flat roof? Any elevation drawings?
I think the door from the kitchen to the play room is taking up valuable corner space.

What are the openings in the kitchen and dining areas? Bi fold doors or patio sets? Is this just more wasted wall space? Do you need both?

There is some serious steel work going on there.

Last edited:
Hi

You may recall seeing these images under my husband's postings.

Yes some serious steel work circa £22k of beams I'm told from builders quotes.

Btw my architect who is also the structural engineer this morning emailed me to say the lantern can be moved, but my original question related to as asthetic one, would it look odd if the two lantern were not positioned the same way or aligned.

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Another possible option is top bring the living room lantern further inline with the chimney to achieve the same effect but then again the two roof lanterns will not be lined up and I'm not sure if that will look silly?

You are probably right to consider bringing the living/dining room lantern further inwards. It is perhaps less important that the lanterns 'line up' externally, than that the light to the room is more evenly distributed.

Personally I would turn the living room lantern 90° and make it central to the room. It looks to me that the lantern has been placed more for external aesthetic - or maybe has been influenced by the paper plan view - rather than the internal effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back