30 votes to 18

it was one of the lowest ratio votes to seats for decades.

As you say, a high vote reflects voter wishes, but the FPTP voting system isn't designed to match "proportion of total votes" to "proportion of seats."

The vagaries of the FPTP election system affects number of seats, but does not change voter wishes or support for politicians and parties.

Being able to talk pointlessly about ratios gives you some pleasure, I see. More than you can find in the swing among voter numbers.

Sponsored Links
As you say, a high vote reflects voter wishes, but the FPTP voting system isn't designed to match "proportion of total votes" to "proportion of seats."

The vagaries of the FPTP election system affects number of seats, but does not change voter wishes or support for politicians and parties.

Being able to talk pointlessly about ratios gives you some pleasure, I see. More than you can find in the swing among voter numbers.

You think Corbyns poor vote conversion as trivial.

A labour website thinks otherwise:

What happened this election was unprecedented: the combination of three largely uncoordinated campaigns (the Leader’s Office, Labour HQ and Momentum) meant that, whether by accident or dumb design, quite often heavy campaigning was carried out in a seat which was safe as houses.

The reward for this strategic blunder was reaped on election night: an unprecedentedly poor conversion of swing into seats, because we preached only in areas where people were already converted (or didn’t generally vote). No attempt was made to win over the disaffected Tories in marginal seats that are essential to any Labour win. And don’t forget the simple maths: a Tory vote converted to Labour is worth twice that of a non-voter converted to Labour, towards a win in a particular seat.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/14/reality-check-a-winning-party-needs-to-win-you-know-seats/

vote conversion

It's a thing that happens with FPTP. If you think it's wrong, perhaps you should campaign for PR.

I see that Corbyn's popularity, his overwhelming success in the leadership election, and the increased number of votes gained under his leadership in the general election, are topics you prefer to avoid.

Yes its a funny thing.

Itl, be funny if labour split and the moderates leave.

Corbyn, McDonnell, commie Milne etc can then have the party to themselves and make it as extreme left wing as they like.

And if the Tories split, let the right wing be as extreme right as it wants, it leaves an awful lot from both sides (more moderate) to form a sensible middle party.

It is desperately needed, to have a choice between extremes.

Sponsored Links
Isn't that part of their job? You know finding fault with the opposition, so that people would maybe vote for them?

That’s the most annoying thing. They would rather make the others look bad than make themselves look good.

You see it on here. People slag off the other team but never say anything good about their own.

Last edited:
That’s the most annoying think. They would rather make the others look bad than make themselves look good.

You see it on here. People slag off the other team but never say anything good about their own.

Oh I dont know about that. JohnD is always posting favourable comments about his favorite politician; Boris Johnson.

It's a thing that happens with FPTP. If you think it's wrong, perhaps you should campaign for PR

I see you werent able to read what I linked that explains it. Nothing to do with FPTP.

Here we are, a shorter extract:

an unprecedentedly poor conversion of swing into seats, because we preached only in areas where people were already converted (or didn’t generally vote). No attempt was made to win over the disaffected Tories in marginal seats that are essential to any Labour win

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/30-votes-to-18.508633/page-2#ixzz5QctNKHTv

I see that Corbyn's popularity, his overwhelming success in the leadership election, and the increased number of votes gained under his leadership in the general election, are topics you prefer to avoid.

He is the leader of a party where the majority of MPs dont want him as leader. That is why the party is so split.

Who would like to tell notch the number of people who voted to make Theresa head of the conservatives, thus giving her the job of our PM?

He was elected to that position by the accepted voting method of the Labour Party.

Yes but my point is still valid: the majority of MPs didnt want him as leader. And many still dont.

If the party splits, perhaps the 'accepted voting method of the party' might be reviewed amongst those that would be left.....

the majority of MPs

"On 11 June 2017, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, described May as a "dead woman walking".[1] A survey on the website Conservative Home found that almost two-thirds of Conservative party members want Theresa May to resign.[2] A YouGov poll of 1,720 adults for the Sunday Times had 48% saying Theresa May should resign, with 38% against.[3] A Survation poll of 1,036 adults online for the Mail on Sunday had 49% of people wanting her resignation, with 38% against.[3] Former Cabinet minister Anna Soubry called for May to "consider her position" after the election result. Former Cabinet minister Nicky Morgan said that May could not lead the Conservative Party into the next general election and called for a leadership election in the summer or in 2018 before the Brexit deal is finalised"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Conservative_Party_(UK)_leadership_election

Sponsored Links
Back