30 year old ideal e type rs balanced flue boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
can anyone help i have an ideal e type balanced flue boiler
its been in the house since i bought it 18 years ago only ever replaced 4-5 thermacouples heating went off last night was expecting pilot to be out as usual but it was still lit
but the boiler wont fire up thermostat is clicking normal if you switch on and off
BUT IT WILL NOT FIRE UP :confused:
I HAVE BEEN READING FORUM AFTER FORUM NOT SEEN THIS PROBLEM IN ANY -6/8 LAST NIGHT SO HOUSE VERY COLD
any ideas folks
thanks

Sponsored Links
So long as there is 240Vac to the gas valve and the pilot is on, you're probs looking at a new gas valve. You'll need an RGI to replace it though, also he'll be able to make sure the incoming gas pressure is correct.

Sponsored Links
If your valve has a grey bush button or a red and white button then a new solenoid will do it ,not a great deal cheaper than valve but a far quicker repair and labour cost will be less

iHI ts grey and was stickiing down and sometimes hard to turn off pilot
but this boiler when working heats the house so well with very little mainainence i would not want to replace it

I dont mind replacing the gas vlave or solenoid whatever it takes how many people have only spent 20 quid maintaining thier boiler for 18 years i am well satisfied with this boiler in my last house my new combi was repaired twice in the first year it was fitted this boiler is 30yo have sent e mail to dp glasgow engineer no reply apparently he has pars for this boiler or can sourse them no reply so far

This is an excellent boiler, keep it as long as you can.

Gas valve is Honeywell V4700E and is readily available, about £70 at your local friendly boiler spares merchant or less on ebay.

thats because you have a 4600 (black solenoid ) if 240v or 8600 if 24v blue solenoid)

all the plastic parts on top of the valve are gray including the button you hold down to light it

If you have only spent 20 quid in 18 years I would get it in for a service asap, these old dinosaur room sealed appliances need to be checked round the seals frequently at that age, the amount I see round here pouring fumes through ancient old rope seals is frightening.

its in the garage and no fumes detected
the problem is getting someone who knows these boilers
i would love to have all you said done most people would not touch it they try to sell me a new boiler that i cannot maintain without them

Its not all grey if you look at where the wires connect to valve the plastic there is either black or blue. Which indicates voltage of valve

yes its all gray the square cover where the wire goes in is lighter though
its a very light gray almost white

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back