IDEAL STANDARD E-Type RS 80 Help\Parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone suggest where to get parts and possible fault for my friends E-Type please:

The make and type is:- IDEAL STANDARD E type RS 80

My friend, who was a very experienced good plumber, but now retired, told me that it was a very good machine which should go on for ever, if parts are obtainable. We know that some plumbers love a new boiler sale, but if at all possible, we want to get this one repaired.

Symptoms (Now)

Boiler fires in the normal way, but does not stay lit for more than 10-15 mins (from cold), and then if continually relit ((i.e. pilot relit each time), stays on for about 5 mins before going out again.

Work Done (over 25 years)

2 thermocouples. One of these was replaced 2 years ago when the symptoms above began to appear (with much longer gaps in between relighting). In the really cold spell over christmas, everything worked perfectly for 5 weeks continuously. Since then it has been endless relighting.

Thanks

Barry

Sponsored Links
Get a good boiler service done.Some minor parts are still available.Do not attempt this work yourself unless you are RGI.A very simple boiler,but still needs expert care.

Hi, thanks for the reply

Will get someone qualified to look at the boiler.

Anyone care to comment on what the fault might be,

I understand that most often it's a dirty pilot light, thermocouple or gas valve. I think it's not the pilot light since it runs for 5-20 min / time. So I'm guessing it's the gas valve since the thermocouple was changed 2 yrs back. Anyone have any experience with these boilers?

Thanks

We all have experience with old boilers but we dont give advice on DIY gas repairs to non RGIs.

It sounds to me as if it may be a pump/flow problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Quote:-Anyone have any experience with these boilers?
I cut my back teeth on these.The fact that it stays on for 15-20 mins gives me a huge clue as to what is wrong.As stated get an experienced engineer and he will fix that in good time.[/u]

Agile how would a pump problem drop the pilot out on one of these.

45YEARGM
Can you remember changing the ceramic burners over on them to metal and the gas valves that you could change every part in it and just leave the casing. Horrible boiler to desoot

Left many flue brushes in those boilers because they got stuck.Never did any harm.Yes I do remember the ceramic burner tops.Never ever failed to repair one of those boilers.Happy days :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back