303UC 86Kg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anybody give me a ball park cost for the following RSJs?

6m x 303UC 86KG

2m x 203x133UB 25KG

3m x 203x133UB 30KG

Also could anyone point me towards a steel stockholder in the Newcastle upon Tyne area?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just had a written quotation back.

6 beams 22m of steel in total.

Anyone want to take a guess???????

Sponsored Links
excellent price ! :D where was that from?

1058 was from the website you gave me, turned out it was from a mob in Reading.

However since then i realised the steel would still require drilling and welding to my specs so i sourced another price from a local firm my SE put me on to.

Still came in at under 1500 :D :p

UPDATE.

Ended up getting the steel from Travis Perkins, they offer a full service believe it or not.

LESSON LEARNED - Do away with the SE, i think all my steels were oversized to cover his arse. Also BC basically took no interest what so ever in the steel or its calculations!!

BC probably took little interest in the steel as it was designed by an SE.. they may have asked more questions otherwise..

I can only speak as i found.

Basically the only thing BC took any real notice of was the foundations.

Made me go 2.4m as well!!! :evil: :evil:

The design codes that structural engineers design to, are generally overly conservative, thats why they usually require over-sized beams. Though I have been told that you can save upto 40% of steel weight on smaller beams if you design to new eurocodes, so that must be a step in the right direction.

Just wondered if anybody else thought engineers overdesign steel beams?

Eurocodes and 40% reduction in steel weight?! Tell me why the fabricators aren't all pushing for EC3 then, but instead are sticking to BS5950? There are some small advantages to EC3 when looking at combinations of wind and gravity loads, but they are more in line of 5%. They are also only applicable to members under certain loads, and are taken away again when you fall outside of that loading arrangement.

40% would either mean a major problem in the design codes our buildings have been designed to for the last 21+ years or a problem with the eurocodes. Fact is there isn't much difference to talk of.

People are always claiming SEs over-design, yet if their building collapsed under a couple of foot of snow and a very strong wind they'd be complaining that the SE hadn't followed the tried and tested design codes.

Yes, calcs to the codes are 'over-designed' with safety factors in, but they are there to take into account the variations from the original design when you get to site, and the variations in steel quality, and the variations in weld quaity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back