30amp cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new kitchen and wish to extend the current 30amp cable which is just 3metres from the main consumer unit by a further 4metres. I understand that this additional length is well within tolerances.

My question is: Will it be okay to use a 30amp junction box or should I run a new unbroken cable from the consumer unit? I hope not, as this would involve considerable additional work!

Sponsored Links
It is always better to have no un-necessary connections in a cable so running in a new one would be better.
If you do decide to use a JB then it needs to remain accessible for inspection and testing purposes.
This work is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.

Define "30 amp cable"

Is this a cable, that, by doing the calculations for volt drop, you have determined can carry 30 amps precisely? Or a cable that the manufacturer says can carry 30 amps optimum. If the latter, you ahve stumbled across a very rare size of cable indeed!

What is the cross sectional area of the cable's live conductors? This is how we measure cable size!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back