30mA or 100mA RCD

As said before its a small one bed flat so no great problems with "falling down dark stairs" if the single RCD trips.

I presume the sparks could put a standalone RCD in the tails to each CU - at present its in the tails between the meter and the Henley block. A cheaper option than new CU's.

Surely a 100mA RCD is better than nothing - and enable me to fulfill my legal duty of care as a landlord.

Just exactly what is the problem with 100mA RCD compared to 30mA - are my tenants not going to survive a 100mA shock?

Sponsored Links
Ts said before its a small one bed flat so no great problems with "falling down dark stairs" if the single RCD trips.
Fair enough - but the current regs just don't like a single RCD - change "falling down dark stairs" to "tripping over something whilst carrying a pan of hot fat across a darkened kitchen' if you wish!
I presume the sparks could put a standalone RCD in the tails to each CU - at present its in the tails between the meter and the Henley block. A cheaper option than new CU's.
Yes, that would solve the 'single RCD' issue. (S)he might possibly also have to move some circuits from one CU to the other (e.g. if all lighting circuits are in the same CU).
Surely a 100mA RCD is better than nothing - and enable me to fulfill my legal duty of care as a landlord. ... Just exactly what is the problem with 100mA RCD compared to 30mA - are my tenants not going to survive a 100mA shock?
Exactly - many people would be dead at shock currents lower than would be required to trip a 100mA RCD.

Kind Regards, John

Only five lighting points - so all on one circuit - it is a small flat.

Thanks that's just what I needed - having identified a potential issue - I'm now liable if I choose to ignore it.

I'll get the sparks to change it to two 30mA RCD's in the tails after the Henley blocks - cheaper than new CU's; he's got some other odds and sods to do as well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks that's just what I needed - having identified a potential issue - I'm now liable if I choose to ignore it.
You're welcome - but don't forget that there could be other issues with the electrical installation of which you are unaware (and for which you could again be liable if they weren't rectified) - so you'd be best advised to have the entire installation properly inspected and tested.
Only five lighting points - so all on one circuit - it is a small flat. ... I'll get the sparks to change it to two 30mA RCD's in the tails after the Henley blocks - cheaper than new CU's; he's got some other odds and sods to do as well.
It will be interesting to see what he has to say about that - as far as one can make out (the regulation is very vague) one of the main issues about this 'single RCD' business is the desire that a single fault causing an RCD to operate should not kill all the lighting in a property.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back