30ma rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question. Is it possible someone can give me an estimated cost of fitting an rcd in between a shower and a cu (assuming the job is relatively simple)? Average prices for rcd's appear to be around the £35 mark.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit an rcbo instead to your cu, cost is not a lot different and easier. This is presuming your cu will take an rcbo. If not it will cost you more than £30.

Thank wingcoax. I'm not a spark so won't be doing the work myself but am looking for cost so I don't get ripped off, not that I would be! Here's a pic of my cu (pt 13). Maybe you can tell me if an rcbo will fit. I've disconnected and removed the shower mcb in readiness for the new installation. If it doesn't fit maybe it would be easier/safer to get an up to date pt 17 cu fitted, I can get one for £55 plus vat. What do you think?

View media item 12558

while the CU will cost you £55 the installation will be substantially more as it involves a complete test and inspection as well as the actual installation time..

as it has breakers fitted, it should take an RCBO..

they are the same size as breakers ( just a bit longer ).

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen RCBOs for that type of board - it is very similar to Wylex NN.
It is made by Proteus which is City Electrical Factors own brand so would be worth starting there.

No you can not get RCBOs for that board as it is now obsolete, and RCBOs were not generally used when it was in production.

Proteus do manufacture RCBOs for their current range of CU, but they do not fit the old style.

Went to CEF in Bedford and, RF Lighting you were right, they don't do a rcbo for my cu but apparently they can get an rcd. So i'll put the breaker back and get a spark to install the rcd. Thanks.

You don't need to use a proteus RCD if you are having it installed next to the existing CU.

Any off the shelf brand will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back