3mm mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I’m planning on half boarding some walls with 3mm MDF as I plan on using some 8mm MDF strips to create a wainscoting effect. I could just put the 8mm on and paint but the walls aren’t terribly smooth hence using 3mm. I’ve never done anything like this before and was just wondering how you would advise attaching the 3mm? Would just adhesive suffice? Also could I use an electric nail gun and if so will it go through any surface? Again sorry if any of these questions are dumb. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I would use screws and possibly some gripfill type adhesive.
You can't drill and rawlplug the 3mm so that all screws are hidden behind the strips. It might make sense to include washers of screwcups. Or buy screws that have a built in washer to spread the load.
Then countersink the strips where the screws are.

Using some kind of glue will prevent the panels sounding too hollow. Perhaps gripfill is too strong as it might rip all the plaster off should you choose to change tack. Perhaps a silicone based alternative?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back