3mm Tyre tread campaign??

Sponsored Links
all about the money... and where better to get it form than motorists
car safety has ever been as high. if some kid wants to run out infront of you, thats their fault.

dont get my vote, tyre prices are expensive already... drive slower is the f**k'n answer

Sponsored Links
[url=http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200001/cmselect/cmenvtra/381/381m03.htm]LINK[/url] said:
...In the 1997 White Paper A New Deal for Transport, the Government announced that its priority for the road system is to make "best use of the roads we already have". This means that the maintenance for existing roads is of the highest importance....
......The main cause of accidents is driver error, with other primary causes being road layout and road surfaces. A particular concern is that the carriageway should have a rugous surface. This should prevent dry skids and, by allowing water to drain away, greatly diminish skidding in wet weather. The restoration of skid resistance to road surfaces is a major aim in preventative maintenance. In 1999, 14 per cent of all accidents involved skidding vehicles, 18.3 per cent in wet conditions........
Evidence of neglect is apparent even to the untrained eye. Signs indicating slippery road surfaces have been posted on the M6 and wheel track rutting can be observed on inner lanes of the M3, M11 and M25, especially apparent as the surface dries after rain. Indications are much more overt on local roads where potholes, bald patches and sunken trenches can be noted. The misshape of many of our local roads has also been noticeable after recent heavy rain as they are often not self draining.
That was 2001 !! Maybe there was another reason for 'slowing' us down .. I mean, how would you negotiate a rutted farm track? Slowly !!
So slow everything down and scale back road repairs and the quality of that... ruts on any highway in this day and age is scandalous at best .. If that is how badly the easy part has been maintained .. what about the bridges?? :eek: :eek:
:eek:

What are the tyre regs across the EU?

Just thinking, if countries have different laws on this, either we could be driving illegally abroad, or they are driving illegally here. :confused:

Looking at that video, is ROSPA advocating driving at 93mph in the wet? :eek:

Why don't they just put more rubber on the tyres to start with? That way we could get just as many miles out of our tyres and have 3mm as the legal minimum?

whilst were on about tread depeths, could manufactures not have a red band in the tyre so you can see when its worn down to 1.6mm? no excuse for people to drive round with illegal tyres.

Theres no excuse anyway.
There are already wear indicators in tyres :D
And if you dont know when your tyres are low you shouldnt be allowed to hold a license.

:rolleyes:

I think 'A' means that an illegal tyre would announce itself to all and sundry from a distance, not just the driver, by exposing a coloured layer once the limit has been breached... an eye catching advert for the peacemaker ! ... But then, I could be wrong.

I am surmising every driver (should) will know there are tread depth indicators fitted in most tyres, if not all?
wearind.gif

;)

empip said:
I am surmising every driver (should) will know there are tread depth indicators fitted in most tyres, if not all?
wearind.gif

;)

actually, no....

altho i do have a thing that tells me the tread depth

the colour indicator would be a good thing.
the the police car that is following you can immediately see if you are illegal... or at least close to it (there is the 'reasonable cause')
i dont have a problem getting pulled as i am fully insured/taxed/moted/licensed unlike 30% of the drivers on the road!

No depth indictactors? Little raised block of tyre material in the bottom of the tread form, raised a little more than 1.6mm, when no step from that to tread surface - the limit is hit.

Thought we all had the odd Vernier Caliper hanging around ?? ;)
MM040218046A.jpg

Actually can provide some interesting data (for some) on wear across the tyre width.

:D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back