Chip n'pinday

securespark said:
I'm going to ask my card provider for a chip and signature card - these are being provided for the disabled and those with sight loss who may find it difficult or impossible to use a pin terminal.

I'll let you know how I get on.
funnily enough, the first chip transaction i ever processed was a chip n sig (I was so disappointed!). And also funnily enough, its the only chip n sig i have ever done! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well, my card provider will issue one, but they can't be used to draw money from ATM's.

You have to go into a branch to do that.

The guy I spoke to (stupidly, in my opinion) advised I kept the same card I have now, and change the PIN so it is the same for all my cards.

Official advice? I don't think so.

That was the company that sounds like a 70's news magazine programme......

securespark said:
The guy I spoke to (stupidly, in my opinion) advised I kept the same card I have now, and change the PIN so it is the same for all my cards.
Well call me stupid, but I can't see anything wrong with that idea.

I find the easiest way to remember it is to change it to some sort of patern as opposed to trying to remember the numbers, i.e. 4562 is a T shape. (this isn't my pin no by the way!!)

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
I find the easiest way to remember it is to change it to some sort of patern as opposed to trying to remember the numbers, i.e. 4562 is a T shape. (this isn't my pin no by the way!!)
hehe, heres some confusement: the chip and pin terminals have the numbers arranged in a telephone keypad format. What if you have to input your pin on a "normal" arrangement keypad? That always throws me. Try it on the computer now. Hard, isn't it?

But WHY OH WHY are ALL PIN input locations (ATMs and chip keypads) arranged like a telephone keypad? and why is a telephone keypad arranged like it is? I often make mistakes when dialling a phone number, pressing 7 instead of 1, or 9 instead of 3, being so used to using a till and computer keypad!

(and 4562 is actually an upside-down T on a pin pad!)

Softus said:
securespark said:
Well call me stupid, but I can't see anything wrong with that idea.

I, for one, will not call you stupid. However, as convenient as it sounds, if someone were to attain your code, then they would have access to all of them :(

Spark123 said:
and i'd probably forget all my pin number then :LOL:
Exactly! I use 7 different systems at work. All require different passwords and all are subject to change at different intervals and they cannot all be the same....so we have to write them down in order to remember them and that contradicts the whole security issue in the first place....wonder what genius thought that up? LOL

You know its all gone wrong when you put your pin number into the microwave though.... :LOL:

Eddie M said:
I'm guessing that was aimed at kendor. The WORM acroynm is only unfortunate 'cos to many people it may smack of viruses, trojans, worm etc. Anyhoe if it was a Write once Read many, how come you can change it once? wouldn't that make it a write twice, read many WTRM? ;) :D
No because chances are that a standard arrangement of some form of encryption is already based on the cards default status and when you change your pin for the first time then the burning process would occur. As stated in my original post i was merely making an assumption that that could be the case and no-one here seems to know otherwise for sure i wonderwhether i may be right in what i'm saying? The reason i mentioned WORM( not a virus, remember this acronym's been around a lot longer than the worm virus) was that it sounds logical that that form of memory on the smart card would be used ie a memory consisting of an array of diodes that destroy when a high enough voltage is applied with proms it's around 15volts to the chosen co-ordinates of the array, this type of memory is used in secure situations because it is non reversible once initiated. ( cue banal comment from Softus)

securespark said:
I forgot my PIN in Morrisons today!! I have a very bad memory for pins and stuff.

Went clean out of my head.

I'm going to ask my card provider for a chip and signature card - these are being provided for the disabled and those with sight loss who may find it difficult or impossible to use a pin terminal.

I'll let you know how I get on.

There you go .... time for 'pip's' encrypt ... never be without your Pin, but never write the real one down, simple and secure... It would have worked for you.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12584
:cool: :D

Sponsored Links
Back