Chip n'pinday

EddieM what is wrong with using the acronym WORM and what do you think it stands for? have you never heard of a Prom? what do you think that is if not WORM?

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
EddieM what is wrong with using the acronym WORM and what do you think it stands for? have you never heard of a Prom? what do you think that is if not WORM?

Programmable read only memory. Write once readable memory?

Eddie M said:
kendor said:

Programmable read only memory. Write once readable memory?
Write Once Read Many is the acronym i was referrring to so a Prom would be WORM whereas an Eprom would be WMRM

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
How fascinating.... :yawn:
Sorry about that secure but i was asked why and had to reply, I can see why some where confused by what i was saying as they were using a different version of the acronym. but as far as flash memory, proms and eproms are concerned then the acronyms are correct.

kendor said:
securespark said:
How fascinating.... :yawn:
Sorry about that secure but i was asked why and had to reply, I can see why some where confused by what i was saying as they were using a different version of the acronym. but as far as flash memory, proms and eproms are concerned then the acronyms are correct.
You were also asked why you made an assumption, but you haven't felt the need to reply to that.

You were also asked why you made a particular assumption, being the one that chip&pin cards use WORM, but you haven't felt the need to reply to that.

Concerning the whole plethora of memory types, and the underlying technology, you display a breathtaking absence of knowledge and understanding.

Presumably your computer is behind a firewall that is blocking access to all dictionary and encylodaedia web sites. And just so that you recognise one in the future - that was an assumption, albeit one based on logic and reason rather than wild conjecture.

been reading trying to follow what you're talking about. May be a dumb question .....we"ve (US) had pin (s) for a while now and not aware if we have the chip.....at least not widespread...but we have a newer security measure called "sitekeys"...is this "ages" old? We're worlds apart on this one....I think :confused: was just wondering.

mlb3c said:
been reading trying to follow what you're talking about. May be a dumb question .....we"ve (US) had pin (s) for a while now and not aware if we have the chip.....at least not widespread...but we have a newer security measure called "sitekeys"...is this "ages" old? We're worlds apart on this one....I think :confused: was just wondering.

Chip and PIN is ages old on mainland europe, I think france has had it for over a decade now. the big change here is that from 14/2/2006 or (2/14/2006 as you'd say) retailers can insist on PIN verification for a transaction, i.e. they can decline to take your signature as proof.

Eddie M said:
I think france has had it for over a decade now.

Easily, I remember it as a kid there: my dad thought it was a cracking good idea. Especially as being an unshaven north-easterner he would get suspicious looks when trying to use a gold card. :eek:

I am pretty certain that with all this new technology we have, the banks could stop charging businesses massive fees to use it. If the government is serious about us having e-money etc. then why don't they make it a viable currency? Get rid of coins and notes, and have chips somehow.

Many universities and companies operate moneyless systems on their campuses, however those are relatively small-scale, closed systems. Surely the cost of running the treasury could be reduced in the longterm, and if we just have bits of plastic instead of paper with national heroes printed on then getting us onto the euro would be easier... and that's what Blair wants, after all! :LOL:

Another view.....
http://www.chipandspin.co.uk/

A novel little 'toy' .... replica key-pad ..... master your pin input by key position or 'pattern', only.. That is, free hand covers the typing hand, totally.

I hear, whispers concerning East Euro crims using 'side channel' technology ... scanning emissions from 'card readers' to obtain data .. Is this a reality?
How much useful info could they gain?
Would it simply be a method which discloses the keys being pressed only?
:cry:

crafty1289 said:
Someone mentioned the PIN is on the magstripe too - think it was woodyoulike - though i may have misunderstood him. Dont think this is true - only the "front of card" details are on here, think there's 3 rows of numbers. PIN on card has to be encrypted - magstripe cant hold enough data for encription

There are 3 tracks of data on the mag stripe, IIRC track 3 is where all the stuff such as card no, issue, start and end dates are held. In my previous incarnation as an EPOS/EFT programmer, the banks declined to provide precise data on what was held on the other tracks, whether these tracks used to hold the PIN I don't know for certain, although latterly I don't think this could be of much use when the ability to chage you PIN came in (the mag stripe being read only). In a later incarnation on a banks Chip and PIN team, I failed to investigate what was/is held on tracks one and three of the mag stripe :oops:

In my latest incarnation, I've failed to do anything much!!

Eddie M said:
There are 3 tracks of data on the mag stripe, IIRC track 3 is where all the stuff such as card no, issue, start and end dates are held. In my previous incarnation as an EPOS/EFT programmer, the banks declined to provide precise data on what was held on the other tracks, whether these tracks used to hold the PIN I don't know for certain, although latterly I don't think this could be of much use when the ability to chage you PIN came in (the mag stripe being read only). In a later incarnation on a banks Chip and PIN team, I failed to investigate what was/is held on tracks one and three of the mag stripe :oops:

In my latest incarnation, I've failed to do anything much!!
http://money.howstuffworks.com/fram...w.cyberd.co.uk/support/technotes/isocards.htm
http://money.howstuffworks.com/credit-card3.htm
bit of info there, but an American site, so dont know how relevant it is to our cards here.

AdamW
Get rid of coins and notes... shut up .. lol :) ;)

Im sick to death of waiting in shops as idiots use a card to pay for a can of pop

I forgot my PIN in Morrisons today!! I have a very bad memory for pins and stuff.

Went clean out of my head.

I'm going to ask my card provider for a chip and signature card - these are being provided for the disabled and those with sight loss who may find it difficult or impossible to use a pin terminal.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
Back