Chip n'pinday

Sponsored Links
I'm glad its being made compulsory for chip'n'pin users to use their pins. It is so much easier for checkout staff to use the chip'n'pin system than it is to check signatures - what a polava that used to be! It also removes the responsibility for fraud prevention from the retailer, and moves it back to the banks / CC providers - a good thing IMO.

crafty1289 said:
I'm glad its being made compulsory for chip'n'pin users to use their pins. It is so much easier for checkout staff to use the chip'n'pin system than it is to check signatures - what a polava that used to be! It also removes the responsibility for fraud prevention from the retailer, and moves it back to the banks / CC providers - a good thing IMO.

Sorry, that's not true, it moves the responsibility from the bank to the customer.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the onus is on us the customer (spit) ...
Hence my little method of 'encrypting' the pin ... or any other important number by repeating the 'key' sequence.. Lest we forget..
;)

Eddie M said:
crafty1289 said:

Sorry, that's not true, it moves the responsibility from the bank to the customer.

Ans so it should be. We have been victum of fraud, cause some cardholders can't be bothered to rrport their cards stolen, or throw away the receipt where the whole card number is listed on (another crazy fraud stimulating ridiculus thing, which should be banned - and can be very simply done) Now with the chip and pin retailers are finally better protected.

WoodYouLike said:
Ans so it should be. We have been victum of fraud, cause some cardholders can't be bothered to rrport their cards stolen, or throw away the receipt where the whole card number is listed on (another crazy fraud stimulating ridiculus thing, which should be banned - and can be very simply done) Now with the chip and pin retailers are finally better protected.

The only reciepts that used to have the whole card number on were the PDQ dot-matrix printer machines that use carbon duplicate paper. Now most of them have thermal printer, and just print 2 reciepts - one with the whole number on - retailer copy - and one with ****'s on, for the customer - then it doesn't mater if they throw their reciept on the floor etc.

And the responsibility for fraud - it now lies with the customer? Not the bank? Sure I read the banks were responsible for it now.

I always thought with signature transactions, the responsibility for fraud was with the retailer - they have to check the signature.

Sorry to disappoint you crafty, but still a lot of PDQ terminals print the whole number (I keep complaining about that to my supplier, but it seems they have to re0invent the wheel again!)

No, I don't think the whole responsibility of fraud lies with the customer, it should be costumer, bank and retailer. But 9 out of the 10 times the retailer has alwasy the one who has lost out. And that is fortunately about to change.

Banks are very keen on Chip and Pin for precisley the reason of culpability shifting away from them. You don't honestly think a bank would accept a shift of liability toward them would you :D

Nah, of course not. But still feel very strongly about not always 'blaming'/punishing retailers for fraud, they have paid up a lot!

I'm sure you do, you have to remember that banks do not actually give a t*ss about their customers, or their employees for that matter !!

Eddie M
well said the b'ANKERS dont give a fyling fig about customers ..

my local HSBC has just had a refit they remover 6 cashier windows put in loads of machines an now only 2 customer windows ,an 1 is always closed .... I played bl**dy hell with them ,an they say its out of their hands , which I suppose it is , but it makes me so angry queing for 30mins to pay a check in ,

bring back armed bank robbers with shotguns I say !!

Sponsored Links
Back