3rd Year apprentice looking for help

Have your lecturer go through it with you, basically unplug everything, isolate and disconnect the L&N at the consumer unit, IR test @ 500v between L&E and N&E.

Just to clarify what Mr. 123 said, if you are testing a circuit that you are not 100% sure about, you should test it between live and neutral tied together to earth, testing them separatly to earth can give issues, if for example you tested at 500v betwene live and earth and the circuit had a neutral to earth fault, the 500v would appear between live and neutral and could do some damage!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies, just to those who go on about being in 3rd year and not using a IR tester etc

why would you need a tester when your putting up tray conduit ladder and trunking all day, and first fixing socket circuits and lights etc, it's not nessesary

yeah maybe the company should have trained us in but not yet, so is it alright to ask for advice without being told I'm in the wrong trade ???

I'll admit it does sound odd that you are in yr3 and have not done any electrical installation work including comissioning it. We did this sort of stuff in our first year.

how did you complete NVQ2 without using a IR tester?? dont you test the work you do on the rig in the workshop?

Sponsored Links
Cant belive a 3rd year apprentice has no experience in the Insulation resistance test it was one of the first things we covered in practical at college in year one.
Mind that was on the 2360 part 1 course dont know if its changed for the 2330 they teach now.

2360 was much more of a vocational, practical course.

2330 would appear to be multiple guess (a bit like the fault-finding approach, above). :rolleyes:

Looking on the bright side, it seems that I won't have to worry about competition for a while! :LOL:

He has after said the dryer was plugged in.
So, with nothing plugged in the RCD still trips?
Where is the RCD in relation to the shed. Is it in the shed, or is it in the house?

If its in the shed, do you have a mini fusebox with it in?
Are there separate MCBs for sockets and lighting?

Do you have an insulation tester (eg Megger)?

I have just been told te dryer was plugged in when it went,

The RCD is on the main ( and only ) board in the house, I don't have a megger unfortunately

Will I plug everything out and see if it goes again ? ? ?

I watched Mechanic of the year last night. If they are the best time I started DIY on car!

I was taught by Local Authority as an apprentice and was amazed on leaving on how little others the same age knew. Coal Board was always the best apprenticeship but that's long gone and when working for Laing in Sizewell I was dismayed to find Electricians who were time served who could not even wire a direct on line starter never mind a star delta. God knows what they would have made of a 5 stage resistor or auto transformer starter.

It has always been the same there are some good firms but many more bad firms at giving a full training.

My dad really use to have a go at me with my apprenticeship being only 5 years in comparison with the 7 he had to do. But last 2 were as journeymen where he spend 6 months in 4 other local firms so that he had knowledge of anything his firm did not have.

But when I was young the "Mega"'s main job was to give shocks to unwary apprentices and there was very little testing and inspecting it was more "Just get it fixed" and no one cared if dangerous or not. I still remember the open knife switches to open the Queensferry road Bridge. Today that would cause steam to come out of HSE guys ears?

So I understand how people may be poorly trained and sorry sign of the times. I sat in on one class and was dismayed when the guys did not know Steel was a conductor. Thought they were taking Mick then realised to them only copper was a conductor!

I'm doing the 2330 currently.

While i'm not happy with certain aspects of it, I can confirm that we were using an IR tester to do basic dead testing by lesson 4.

He has after said the dryer was plugged in.

But after he tried again with nothing plugged in.

Well when the RCD trips the only breaker that goes down is the mcb thats for the shed, when all other mcb's are on ALL SOCKETS in the house work, when the shed breaker is down the ONLY sockets that dont work are the one in the shed,

the rcd just tripped there now again with nothing plugged in ...

I watched Mechanic of the year last night. If they are the best time I started DIY on car!

I was taught by Local Authority as an apprentice and was amazed on leaving on how little others the same age knew. Coal Board was always the best apprenticeship but that's long gone and when working for Laing in Sizewell I was dismayed to find Electricians who were time served who could not even wire a direct on line starter never mind a star delta. God knows what they would have made of a 5 stage resistor or auto transformer starter.

It has always been the same there are some good firms but many more bad firms at giving a full training.

My dad really use to have a go at me with my apprenticeship being only 5 years in comparison with the 7 he had to do. But last 2 were as journeymen where he spend 6 months in 4 other local firms so that he had knowledge of anything his firm did not have.

But when I was young the "Mega"'s main job was to give shocks to unwary apprentices and there was very little testing and inspecting it was more "Just get it fixed" and no one cared if dangerous or not. I still remember the open knife switches to open the Queensferry road Bridge. Today that would cause steam to come out of HSE guys ears?

So I understand how people may be poorly trained and sorry sign of the times. I sat in on one class and was dismayed when the guys did not know Steel was a conductor. Thought they were taking Mick then realised to them only copper was a conductor!

I was installing Audio/Video kit on a refurb site a couple of years ago, the rooms were off a long long corridor where a spark in his 20's was trying to wire lots (about a dozen) of intermediate switches. At the end the 2nd day I said I would not be in the following day due to the lack of light making it unsafe and was advised it was taking a long time due to the complexity of the system. I offered to wire it for them and would charge one day's work, my offer was accepted and it took less than 1.5 hours to undo what had been done and complete the job. The guy we were both working for was amazed I was so quick where 'one of the best sparks on site' struggled for so long. The spark had run 2 3C&E's (fortunately a white and a grey) and was using them both??
I do find that a lot of recently qualified sparks these days are completely lost outside of the domestic environment, which I feel concerned about. One even told me recently I wasn't allowed to run singles in metal trunking which contained T&E's.

Well that's fine as long as they stick to houses. Problem with a lot of these Part P course wonderboys is they reckon they can charge the same as an experienced electrician who has done his time and knows his stuff.

Well they cannot fool me any more.

It's the same in my trade (office based). Been hiring a new person recently and I always chuck in some simple maths questions at interview. Less than half the people could get What is square root of ninety one times the square root of forty nine. And it was the people who left university in th past ten years who struggled. Old farts like me, some of them with no degree but loads of experience, could get it within a second.

One is a grumpy old git.

Well the answer is 66.77574409918619 (enough decimal places?).

If you can calculate the sqrt of 91(9.539392014169456) in your head I'm a Dutchman. :D or may be you have memorised the square roots of all integers from 1 to 100?

You didn't mean 81 did you? ;)

Which prime number? 91=13*7, 49=7*7 Neither are prime.

sqrt91*sqrt49=sqrt(91*49)=sqrt4459=66.7757440991862

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back