4.5 metres Bi-fold doors, how do I fix the top???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Next weekend I'll be fitting my 4.5 metre Bi-fold doors and although fitting the bottom and sides is pretty standard, any thoughts on fitting the top?

Just thinking that it's a long span for just expanding foam to 'grab' it and was wondering if there is a better fix. Thought about fitting a few self tapping screws into the metal lintel, but not sure if I should drill into it.

Sponsored Links
Hilarious.

Fitting something as mammoth as 4.5m wide doors and no clue as to how to secure the top.

You must be very brave or totally bonkers.

What is above the opening, i.e. steel lintel or beam?

Sponsored Links
Oldun - yes, I should have said the frame

Woody - Is there a manual? If there is I'd like to have a read, the reason for posting on here was to understand if there is a better way.

So far I've managed to build a 7.2m x 4m single storey extension from start to finish, basically on my own with help from a few handy friends. I'm an apprenticeship trained sparky and feel once you've learnt a trade you can turn your hand to most things. Second extension I've built, last one 20-years ago and the regulations have certainly changed a bit now.

Had loads of helpful tips on here, so thanks to all who have advised me. If anyone has a tip or two for these doors and frame, it would be appreciated - thank you

All these doors are proprietary systems, so you should get hold of the installation guide from whoever made them.

If it helps, you should never ever drill into the soffit of an outer leaf.

Thanks Woody,

If drilling into the lintel is a no-no, thats just what I wanted to know, cheers

We used to be able to get brackets that fixed to the jambs of the window but were elongated so that they allowed you to fix to the inner leaf masonry.

Deceuninck-DKM3286-fixing-bracket.jpg

Drilling the lintel is not a no-no, but drilling the external leaf can allow water to run down the fixings

You may be able to fix to the internal leaf and use a bracket across to the frame

Some of these systems are top hung, and they do require a fixing directly above the frame. So, if the frame is positioned under the external leaf, then you need to be careful with the fixings to avoid them allowing water to drip through

Cheers Noseall - Was thinking about brackets, which when fitted would then br plastered over. I'll find out more about these

As usual nose is on the right track, how ever there is no need to look around for brackets, just make your own from standard builders band.
Four lengths of band long enough to be fixed across the top of the head of frame with two screws, then across soffit of lintel up the inner skin block work and over the wall plate. Fix to plate and two fixings to block work.
If you are dot and dabbing inside, make sure you have a dab over the builders band.
If you have brickwork above lintel on outer skin, then drill through frame. lintel and into brickwork and, plug and screw three no fixings. If no brickwork above stick three self tapers in to lintel. You will get no damp through.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back