4 gang light switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Firstly,
IMG_20180422_113034546.jpg
I know there already IS a thread on here with this title, but reading it there seems to be an absolute multitude of possibilities!
If possible I just want to identify the live feed for this switch - I'm intending to get rid of this one and replace with 'normal ' 1 way switches. I'd be very grateful if anyone could point this out for me .
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would assume it is the wire with links to the other three switches.

Only one of the switches appears to operate anything - three lights? Is that correct?

There are a lot of cables/wires there for one switch.

I would assume it is the wire with links to the other three switches.

Only one of the switches appears to operate anything - three lights? Is that correct?

There are a lot of cables/wires there for one switch.
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Yup - the only operating switch is the one that's one in from the right ; I inherited this - the others have never operated any lights in my time here. (There WERE masses of defunct wallup lights ).

Possibly the extreme left red wire that seems to be linked to all 4 switches
But that looks like a double width box so how do you propose to fit one switch - or can you get a twin-gang faceplate with a single switch fitted.
What are you proposing to do about the 'twisted and taped' joints

Sponsored Links
Possibly the extreme left red wire that seems to be linked to all 4 switches
But that looks like a double width box so how do you propose to fit one switch - or can you get a twin-gang faceplate with a single switch fitted.
What are you proposing to do about the 'twisted and taped' joints
Thanks .....
I'm moving the positions of all replacement switches so will just fill where this box is now.
The joints you mention won't be there .

Then make sure you mark every individual core, detailing which core is connected to which. With at least 14 cores to play with (including reds connected to blacks) there are lots of possible permutations if things don't work as you expect.

Then make sure you mark every individual core, detailing which core is connected to which. With at least 14 cores to play with (including reds connected to blacks) there are lots of possible permutations if things don't work as you expect.

Thanks again Jackrae ...... what I'm intending to do is to really ditch this switch completely . There are only 2 lights that I want to still work wired from here, so I'm just wanting to be sure of which is the live feed going to this old switch to enable me to basically cut this one out by going into a junction box in the attic then out again to the new lights & switches

Maybe it's not as simple as that; some of the other cores may be used for neutral continuity (pass-through) or for live continuity and become 'live' only when other light circuits are exercised. You need a proper test meter and check-plan to establish if any of the cores (including those taped up) form part of in-use circuits relating to other lighting.

... I'm intending to get rid of this one and replace with 'normal ' 1 way switches.
Yup - the only operating switch is the one that's one in from the right ; I inherited this - the others have never operated any lights in my time here. (There WERE masses of defunct wallup lights ).
As EFLI says, it looks as if that one operative switch is still switching three separate light(s) (together). That being the case, if you so wished, it would take only a small amount of tweeking of the wiring of the switches to have three of those switches each operating one of those lights. Are you sure that you would not like/want such functionality?

Kind Regards, John

As EFLI says, it looks as if that one operative switch is still switching three separate light(s) (together). That being the case, if you so wished, it would take only a small amount of tweeking of the wiring of the switches to have three of those switches each operating one of those lights. Are you sure that you would not like/want such functionality?

Kind Regards, John
Hi John
No - the switch is just in the wrong place entirely !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back