4 gang switch to 4 gang dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks in advance to anyone who can help us. We are attempting to switch out a 4 gang switch with a 4 gang dimmer switch. I tried copying the wiring exactly as it is on the old switch and only one dimmer ended up working. I've included 4 photos 2 of the fronts of the switches and 2 of the backs. It seems that the old switches had some internal contacts that the dimmers do not have. The blue and black wires in the top left corner of the photo of the old backs are connected together.

Old Switches Front:

New Dimmers Front:

Old Switch Back:

New Dimmers Back:

If this is far too complicated to do with a description online we will hire an electrician but I thought I'd give this a go first. Thanks so much.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Are you aware that the old switch terminals are grouped in triangles, not in rows?

So the old switch L1 & L2 top left are associated with the Common on the bottom left.

Note the lines moulded into the black plastic on the back of the switch, dividing the groups of terminals.

Each group of three terminals should correspond with the groups of three on the dimmer.

Don't forget the strap between the left hand switch L2 and the second from left switch Common.
Transfer the earth wires from the back box to the earth terminal on the new switch front plate, and fit an earth strap from the back box to the switch.

there are no internal connections
The com L1 and L2 is the same on switch as the dimmer

You do realise on the switch each group of COM L1 and L2 was in the triangle format for each switch and not the 3 in the row

Thanks for the information. I do see the line separating lines. I'll give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Before you disconnect anything, mark the cables with an indelible marker.

1, 2, 3, 4 to match their positions on the switch

Then, if the reads get mixed up it will be easy to determine where they go.

Good luck - let us know how u get on...

Thanks so much to everyone it worked perfectly! I need to buy a deeper housing but otherwise everything is working perfectly. Thanks again!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back