4 outlet sink trap for water softener drainage and overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I currently have a sink trap with outlets for the washing machine and dishwasher. I also have a water softener where the brine drain and overflow currently go out through the wall and into the external downpipe. I'm getting the external wall rendered and moving the downpipe and rather than drilling through again I'd rather connect the water softener drainage to the sink trap. Do they make sink traps with 4 outlets? I've looked online but can't find anything. Any advice? I know I've got to incorporate an air gap too. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thought a photo might be helpful. Could I join a fitting with two other spigots to this set up? I need to tell the renderer in the morning if he can render over the existing two holes but only if it's do-able under the sink so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sink waste trap.JPG

Last edited:
Outlets or inlets, I'll just call them spigots...

Could I add the top part of this waste trap to the horizontal grey pipe going out through the wall or does it all have to be before the U bend?
McAlpine double waste trap.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Could you suggest how I could adapt this set up to achieve what I'd like to do? Do they do deeper U bends?

How about if I attached two of these (McAlpine V33WM) instead of the two existing spigots
31kMDntnxvL.jpg

But on second thoughts the pipe connector is bigger then the spigot connector, so that won't work. Scratching my head...

Hang on, how about after the existing two spigots and before the U Bend I add a McAlpine V1M swept tee...
ae235

...then attach the V33WM above to it for the water softener spigots...
...then extend the other side of the U bend vertical to compensate for the swept tee?

That'll make a very deep U bend and a bit of a contraption but won't it do the trick?

Okay, I pretty much know I'm talking to myself here but for anyone else with a similar issue, I don't think you can plumb the water softener drains into the waste trap because of the risk of backflow of contaminated water in to the mains system.
So you either fix them in a stand pipe like a washing machine drain. Even then I don't think you can simply push the hose in, you still need an air gap. That's where a tundish comes in. I get the theory but still not sure how they fit together..
Oh and I haven't ready anywhere whether a non-return valve can be used but McAlpine do one (T28M-NRV) so I hope I can get hold of someone there in the morning before the renderer gets to decision time... (but if someone is reading who can help that would be hugely appreciated)

Well for my tuppence I think you are asking too much with 4 appliances, have you considered a pump under the sink.

Thanks for replying Just Pumps but I'm not sure why I'd need a pump just to drain a water softener?

Ah no... by the time I've figured it out I don't think there'll even be any room for the washing powder :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back