4" Pipe blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a drain at the side of our house which keeps over flowing. The kitchen sink drains into this.

If I use the plunger I can get it flowing again but it quickly blocks up again.

I've got a endoscope type camera which plugs into the PC and I can see where the blockage is but unfortunately it isn't easy to get to. It is about 5m down the 4" pipe just after a sharp bend.

Personally I think the design of the pipes is particularly bad.

The object has about another 4m to go to get to the manhole cover in the garden.

The blockage is under the conservatory floor.

Someone suggested that it might be possible to pressurize the pipe to try to shift the blockage. Do you think this would work? I have a compressor and could make an end cap with a tyre valve fitted. Just worried about making it worse!

I've tried caustic soda, and hydrochloric acid but the blockage is plastic. These will both clean the gunk away from around the foreign body and allow a little bit of flow but won't shift the object itself.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Tried drain rods but they get stuck at the bend, no matter how much I try. They hit the end and just won't go round, I have used the camera to watch and through twisting etc I can get it to start to bend round the corner but just after the corner there is a lip and the rod gets stuck on there.

Don't really want to get anyone in, but will have to resort to that if I can't but it is a drain that often blocks (poor design) - so would prefer to get a tool that has a good chance of clearing it so I can use it again in the future.

Would a jetting pipe for my karcher pressure washer be worth a try?

Or another alternative I've seen whilst searching was a drain cleaning bladder which inflates, seals then releases the water forwards. Would that have a chance of shifting it?

Would my idea of the air compressor not work? My worry with that is it would clear the gaps around the blockage but not shift the blockage itself, I would need it to be fully blocked in order for it to work.

Sponsored Links
No, I didn't have one of those, looks like it might be worth a try though. I take it the wheel will help it over the lip?

I've got a endoscope type camera which plugs into the PC and I can see where the blockage is but unfortunately it isn't easy to get to. It is about 5m down the 4" pipe just after a sharp bend.

Personally I think the design of the pipes is particularly bad.

The object has about another 4m to go to get to the manhole cover in the garden.

rod back from the manhole with a corkscrew attachment on the rods

Really don't advise using any type of pressure, if it goes wrong, and the fact you've used chemicals down there, could be nasty. Corkscrew, as Nige says, if it'll get to where you need it, otherwise I think you need to bite the bullet and get someone in. High pressure water jetting gear should pull it back, if that doesn't work, then it's likely to be dig it up time I'm afraid.

Get someone in - it's not that expensive. Even here in expensive Oxfordshire it's only £70 for up to 2 hours of drain cleaning

Some rods have a "locking" joint, older or cheaper ones don't, if using the later be careful to twist the rods so as to tighten the joints.
It is possible for the joints to become undone while still in the drain, which makes it a much more difficult job.

Thanks for all the advice, I will try a wheel if that doesn't work I'll try getting someone in. Only about £3 from toolstation for a wheel so will grab one tomorrow.

rod back from the manhole with a corkscrew attachment on the rods

I'm struggling to rod back due to the depth of the manhole. I have to climb into the manhole cover to rod back but the angle ends up quite severe and there must be another bend which it gets stuck on. Rodding forwards is a lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back