4 pole socket for boiler ?

So use a red one then.

"Maximum" is not the same as "mandatory".

And just who are "they"? And where will "they" find this equipment and decide to bring it into the church hall to plug it in?

F*S this is a church hall.

Just who is going to be finding anything and deciding to take it to the hall, to unplug part of the CH system, and plug what they have found in?

Found by whom? And where?

Just who are these people who are going to find this sort of equipment? And where will they find it? And why, having found it, will they take it to the hall to plug it in in place of part of the CH system?

Precisely.
as has been said - This IS a church hall and if it's anything like the several Church halls I have dealings with people DO hire the hall and people DO turn up with kit and people DO expect to plug it in and people DO manage to sniff out sockets switches and thermostats, no matter how well they are hidden and yes one band turned up with a 32/3 to power their rig (maximum capacity of the hall - 80). One of the halls didn't have it's own power and used to have a trailing lead from the adjacent factory when required, the 30A reyrol male was still on the wall for many years after it was decommissioned and somebody managed to jamb wires into it, presumably expecting to get leccy from it.

Sponsored Links
CEEforms are ridiculously over spec'd for the application although perfectly acceptable.
Yes, just a bit over specced :whistle:

As to the concerns about incorrect application of these connectors. I say use them properly as I have come across so many silly applications, some of which are potentially dangerous:
1P power to a van using a red 3PNE, L2 & L3 had a short in the socket, in the van was a relay to inhibit the starter solenoid:
View attachment 154952
with the van was a cable with a blue plug and red socket which worked successfully for several years. On a site the temp electric supplier had been asked to provide a 16A supply and seeing a red plug applied 3ph.
Ouch !

I've seen 32/3 being used as 2x1ph (2xL & 2xN with common earth).
Both of the above did a lot of damage.
I bet :eek:

At a previous job, we got a phone call from a customer asking about using a widowmaker (not that they used the term) to power up their building from the neighbours generator. I explained to them that this was a bad idea for two reasons :
  • Firstly it's stupidly dangerous
  • Secondly they have their circuits split over 3 phases - and no I don't know which 13A socket you'd need to plug into in order to power up the server room.
I then went on to say that they should get an electrician in to fit a 3 phase input connector and a changeover switch - which is what they did. On the morning of the pre-announced power cut, they called to say that they'd tried plugging in power from next door but it had just tripped next-doors genny. I set off, picking up my portable genny en route - with extension leads to reach the server room and connect the UPS to it as we'd done a few times before.
When I got there, they were powered up and the neighbour said that they'd found two problems : the inlet was incorrectly wired, and there was no neutral in their connecting lead.

I got chatting with one of the guys from next door. They sell and rent electrically powered mini diggers, some of them with remote control, that can be used in places where an engine powered unit could not be used. They didn't need a neutral for their machines, so they saved money by not having a neutral in their connecting cables. I think I said something about the risks involved, but they seemed to think that as they supervise their stuff it would be OK. I could just imagine someone needing power, seeing a 5 pin socket spare, and plugging in - with the potential for damage caused by a missing neutral.
But at least I had persuaded them to stop using a widowmaker themselves and fit an inlet & switch :)

Using a 16/3 for a boiler 'shouldn't' cause any problem if someone tried to use the socket to supply a3ph device but applying 3ph to the boiler plug would very likely damage the pcb.
3 phase isn't around so the only way it would happen is if someone brought in a genny - but that's not likely either as I can't see us hosting any events with that sort of power requirement. In any case, tucking a relay in the boiler control box powered from the demand signal would obviate that risk - and would be needed for some boilers which need volt free switching. But thinking about it, I strongly suspect that all there is in most boilers is a rectifier, resistor, and zener (or other clamp) to derive a low level signal from the mains level input.

Klix is a much better option but do you not require 5 poles? LNE supply, demand & pump.
Pump is externally controlled.

So use a red one then.

"Maximum" is not the same as "mandatory".
I never said it was. And I said using a red one was the safest option.
This started when it was suggested I use a blue one as there's only 240V present, and I queried that. At which point you butted in with "F*S this is a church hall" :rolleyes: If the thread is boring you, then just stop reading it - some of us are having a rational discussion.

And just who are "they"?
As Sunray points out in a later post, you never know who might turn up.

Yes, looks like I have.
As always, I know I don't know everything and so it's worth asking in case someone comes up with "there's a flurble-wangle plug & socket just ideal for that". In this case, there were no unknown types suggested.

Sponsored Links
Yes, looks like I have.
As always, I know I don't know everything and so it's worth asking in case someone comes up with "there's a flurble-wangle plug & socket just ideal for that". In this case, there were no unknown types suggested.
Although some seem to think they do, none of us on here know everything. There are a few other connectors I could suggest but the Klix is so readily available I'd stick with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back