4 Wire Thermostat... Now with pictures.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redecorating our living room and I want to change the thermostat for something newer, something easier on the eye...

There are two cables to the existing stat. It is wired from left to right earth x2, red, red (permanant live), blue, yellow wires. There is also a black wire that is just left unconnected.

What should I replace it with?

I'd like something with a digital display, can any stat be fitted or do I have to stick to the same wire configuration?

Sponsored Links
type/model of stat, type of system etc. the more info the better.

Sponsored Links
Valliant COMBI/compact boiler, a Drayton control type RTC.

Any other info needed?

Do you know where the cables go, old airing cupboard, boiler or previous boiler position

I am fairly sure they go back to the boiler. There is also a timer on the system.

DSC_0032.jpg

In this picture the wires are labeled as:

E - EARTH
2 - COOLING - RED
1 - HEATING - RED (permanently live)
N - NETRAL - BLUE
3 - LINE - YELLOW (live when heating off and stat above room temp)

DSC_0033.jpg

I can't advise on which model to go for but you don't have to worry much about matching the connections in line with the old one.

A modern battery powered digital thermostat will only require 2 connections.
The permanant Live and the Switched Live wires.

A traditional mechanical unit will also need the Neutral connection.

So you can please yourself and buy whichever one seems the best. Then come back if you still aren't too sure about the wiring.

I can only see three connections (plus the earth) to the thermostat itself so a mechanical one will likely use all three. Some digital ones wont need the Neutral (and possibly the Earth also) so they can just be carefully covered up and held back.

I've bought a SUNVIC TLX6501

It's connections are labelled

NO
COM
NC

Do you know which wires I should be using?

Also there is a small switch inside the unit that can be set to either HEATING or COOLING. Which do I set it to?

Heating, as it's not for Air Conditioning :p

One of those questions that sounds obvious when someone's awnsered it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back