Help - faulty wiring on room thermostat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been having a problem in my fathers new flat. The room thermostat doesn't operate the central heating. The heating, once on, stays on permanently. On measuring the red live and yellow switched live on the stat itself, they are both live whenever the central heating is switched on by the timer. When I continuity checked the wiring I found red and yellow wires short circuit. When I disconnect them from the junction box in the airing cupboard, they still read short. So I can only assume the wiring is damaged somewhere. But before I start to make holes in the walls and ceiling to replace the cable, I'd like an opinion to see if I'm missing something. I'm pretty sure I checked the wiring correctly i.e. the red live at the stat goes to the switched live from the timer, and the switched live from the stat (yellow) appears to go to the CH valve. Please advise if I'm overlooking something here as I'm admittedly no central heating expert.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Check the heating valve is not jammed open,as this sends a feed to the boiler and pump, which will not turn off even if the stat is turned down.

If after taking Garfields advice you still think your cable is damaged I would recommend you fit a new wireless room stat such as Drayton Digistat 1. This will cost more to buy but will eliminate any wiring in walls etc ;)

Thanks guys.
Will check the valve and maybe go with the digistat. Do I assume that will have a transmitter in the airing cupboard and eliminate the need for the wiring??

Sponsored Links
The reciever will be in the airing cupboard. It will need a live and neutral and the switched live from the heating side of the programmer to your valve as now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back